• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Reflections in shots.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
OK, took some pics of some candles on a birthday cake, and I got reflections of the candle flames about 2' above teh actual flames. Somehow getting reflection off of filter on front of lens, or can this kind of thing just happen with lens optics in general? First time I've seen it.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Crappy lens with give that effect but much more common to happen with a filter. I rarely use a filter (except polarizing) for this reason...

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Yup, that is exactly the effect. Gave John a halo of sorts.
I was told a while ago never put a cheapie piece of glass in front of an expensive piece of glass...if you must use a filter then make it a damn good one but better to just take it off more often than not.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Noted, and will do. Honestly, I've used filters more as front element protection than for actual effect more often than not. I shall remove it.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Noted, and will do. Honestly, I've used filters more as front element protection than for actual effect more often than not. I shall remove it.
FWIW, I never use them fwiw...I'm hard on my gear (bot not brutal) and have never had need for the front element protection. :2cents:

You should be able to clone brush out the halo-ing if you really wanted btw...

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
The halo sorta fit our Jesus-looking hippy friend ;)

I've got filters on all my glass, probably time to ditch them for everyday use.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I was told a while ago never put a cheapie piece of glass in front of an expensive piece of glass...if you must use a filter then make it a damn good one but better to just take it off more often than not.
That's what I have been told too......I think the statement was something like "don't but a nice piece of glass and then put a piece of Saran Wrap on it"
It is for this reason that I buy B&W filters most of the time. :D