• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Read any good books lately?

mightytyke

Shoot, Move, Communicate!
VIP
I'm currently reading the fifth book of the Hangman's Daughter series. Pretty good series, kind of historical fiction about an executioner that solves mysteries. Lots of little tidbits of history from the 1600s.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
I am currently on the 4th book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

It's sort of a post apocalyptic sifi

mightytyke

Shoot, Move, Communicate!
VIP
A great one that I read about a year ago was, "Gang Leader for a Day" It's a story about a guy that was studying sociology at the University of Chicago and he decided to do a project on how the gangs and the projects coexist. He went down to the projects and started handing out questionnaires and a gang leader took him under his wing to show him how it truly is. Excellent read.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Finally finished "A Deniable Death" by Gerald Seymour - what an excellent read

Now on with Alastair Reynolds "Blue remembered Earth", very enjoyable and will have to thank a friend that recommended it to me

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Finished "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" a couple days ago. Very interesting history, but IMHO poorly written. Too dry, just a list of occurrences and facts, no "juice" to hold your interest. But if you use your imagination to fill in the dry spells, it is fascinating.

Now reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway. My first Hemingway book, not so sure about it yet. Very unusual writing style. Very heavy on conversational quotes. Not positive I like it or not. I'll have to see how it ends or turns out before I'll know.

Also reading a biography of Albert Einstein at lunchtime at work. Very well written, fascinating subject. I like it a lot so far. Thick book, will take many breaks to finish.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The past few I've read have been shit. I'm on a bad losing streak. David Wong's two books are the last good ones I've read.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Finished "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" a couple days ago. Very interesting history, but IMHO poorly written. Too dry, just a list of occurrences and facts, no "juice" to hold your interest. But if you use your imagination to fill in the dry spells, it is fascinating.
The movie is the same way.

MeinXJ

Father Divine Loves You
Recently read "The Black Count" by Tom Reiss - historical (Napoleonic times) account of a guy who was born to a white aristocrat and black slave in Haiti, and became one of France's top generals (and father to Alexander Dumas who wrote The Count of Monte Cristo). Was pretty interesting.

Just finished "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman - interesting fiction/fantasy about ancient gods (Odin, Anansi, Horus, etc) running around as humans in modern America.

Currently reading "The Orientalist," also by Reiss. Another true account, this time of a Jew from Azerbaijan during WWI and the Bolshevik revolution who ended up all over the place and constantly reinvented himself as needed to survive. So far, so good.

Johnclick

I began reading novels by Anthony Trollope years ago and find them relaxing and entertaining. He wrote about 40 in all and his stories are about what life was like during his time in England.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Recently read "The Black Count" by Tom Reiss - historical (Napoleonic times) account of a guy who was born to a white aristocrat and black slave in Haiti, and became one of France's top generals (and father to Alexander Dumas who wrote The Count of Monte Cristo). Was pretty interesting.

Just finished "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman - interesting fiction/fantasy about ancient gods (Odin, Anansi, Horus, etc) running around as humans in modern America.

Currently reading "The Orientalist," also by Reiss. Another true account, this time of a Jew from Azerbaijan during WWI and the Bolshevik revolution who ended up all over the place and constantly reinvented himself as needed to survive. So far, so good.
Just finished The Black Count. Agree, very interesting. Reiss is an excellent history author

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Finished another WWII book, on Monty Patton and Rommel. Didn't learn much.
I finished one a couple of weeks ago Ship of Ghosts about the USS Houston. Pretty good read about a forgotten WWII story, ties into the building the Burma railway. Like a true story (American Version) of the building of the bridge over the Kwai

Cornholio01

I finished one a couple of weeks ago Ship of Ghosts about the USS Houston. Pretty good read about a forgotten WWII story, ties into the building the Burma railway. Like a true story (American Version) of the building of the bridge over the Kwai
What's good re: Pacific theatre?

John

Transplant
VIP
Read The Revenant on the way to Korea. It was a pretty good book, much better than the movie (watched it on the way back). I started to read The Art of Racing in the Rain on the way back home. It's pretty good so far, but I slept more on the way back.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
What's good re: Pacific theatre?
Basically the USS Houston was known as FDR favorite ship as he would often take trips on the ship and he befriended many of the crew. At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack the Houston was the flag ship of the Asiatic Fleet paroling between Philippines and Australia. Along with the attack, the Japanese had a plan to sweep through the South Pacific. An allied fleet of US, British and Dutch ships were tasked with confronting this threat. In the battle of Sunda Strait, they stumbled upon the Japanese fleet in the middle of the night in which the Houston was sunk in the fighting. The book goes on to follow the survivors many were in the death marches and in the prison work camps which attempted to build the Burma Railway for the Japanese.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Reading "Constitutional Chaos" by Judge Andrew P Napolitano.

"what happens when the government breaks its own laws"

This is right up your alley Joe