• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2tb WD ultra portable HDD

neevo

Limey Hippo
hard drive prices are falling daily, it seems, esp SSDs

What I paid in Jan for a 120GB SSD I could now buy a 512GB

Noticed this week that an 8TB std int. hdd was going for about £190 (approx US$300)

I'm now only buying drives when I need them desperately as they will be so much cheaper in a months time

BTW check out the Daily Deals on Amazon,fr, they have some really cheap computer gear lately

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I was considering buying a 4tb "desktop" drive, but decided I'd wait until I really had the need for that exact reason. I recently went through my USB drives and cleaned out & consolidated stuff. Was thinking I needed more space, but I'm doing well with a 1.5tb attached to my Time Capsule, a 1tb portable for "offsite" storage, and now this new 2tb portable for normal use.

Giving up my portable USB3 drive to my brother was the catalyst for needing a new portable drive. Decided to spring the couple extra bucks for the metal WD passport since it looks a little nicer.

neevo

Limey Hippo
I bought myself a couple of dirt cheap (US$3) USB header to USP port cables/converters and now have a couple of spare, rarely used, USB drives inside my case linked up providing permanent and effectively free storage space
I could have bought a cheap USB hub for about a fiver but these are out of the way inside the case

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Why would you stick USB drives inside your case? Why not use normal drives?

neevo

Limey Hippo
because I had the USBs sat in a drawer doing nowt but get old and no working hdds spare

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got it yesterday.... really doesn't seem like it's metal. Feels more like plastic. I guess I'll have to take their word for it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You should test it with a magnet. Just get a really strong magnet and move it around all over to be sure. :shush:
Good idea. You need the rare earth style to get aluminum to attract, right?