• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Does anyone know if these exist? USA 220v to 110v outlet converter

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have a big 220v outlet in my wall where an old in-wall air conditioner was removed. The 220v outlet has power but is basically useless as is.

I imagine there must exist some sort of adapter I could plug in that would convert the outlet from 220v to a standard 110v receptacle, possibly even two 110v outlets, each on a different pole.

Unfortunately I've yet to find anything. Searching inevitably leads to adapters designed for international travel which won't work because 220v in Europe (and elsewhere) is single phase and 220v in the USA are two 110v lines in opposite phases with a common neutral line.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Replace the double pole breaker in your breaker box with a single pole breaker. Connect the black wire to the new breaker, connect the white wire to the neutral bus. Replace the receptacle with a 115V receptacle. Done.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Thanks but those are for European to US and won't work for US to US. Even if it did, what I want wouldn't be a big transformer. The outlet you see has 110v going to the left and right plug and the neutral in the middle. In theory just tapping one of the hot leads and the neutral would give me a 110v outlet.

Replace the double pole breaker in your breaker box with a single pole breaker. Connect the black wire to the new breaker, connect the white wire to the neutral bus. Replace the receptacle with a 115V receptacle. Done.
Right, but in my situation none of that is happening. Someone, somewhere has to make an adapter.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Thanks but those are for European to US and won't work for US to US. Even if it did, what I want wouldn't be a big transformer. The outlet you see has 110v going to the left and right plug and the neutral in the middle. In theory just tapping one of the hot leads and the neutral would give me a 110v outlet.

Right, but in my situation none of that is happening. Someone, somewhere has to make an adapter.
It's easy enough that mom could do it with reasonable instructions. If not, though, order the right male and female plugs from home depot and a foot or two of wire and make your own adapter. Shouldn't that be possible?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Ugg.

This basically explains why what I want is impossible. The 220v outlet has no neutral, just a ground, which can't (shouldn't) be used to carry current. It would need rewiring at the breaker box.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Yes, it's impossible.

The only thing you could do is use the ground as a neutral. This is a big nono but you would have 120 rather easily.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
If you use the "spare" wire from the second leg of the 220 for the return line of your new 110 circuit, you will have enough wires available. It needs to be white though instead of red or whatever it is now, so put white electric tape on the wire, at all parts that are visible and particularly in the breaker box. I would do this, but I don't live in New Yawk City either, so my opinion may have no validity in your case.
:shrug:

Ralph

VIP
If you use the "spare" wire from the second leg of the 220 for the return line of your new 110 circuit, you will have enough wires available. It needs to be white though instead of red or whatever it is now, so put white electric tape on the wire, at all parts that are visible and particularly in the breaker box. I would do this, but I don't live in New Yawk City either, so my opinion may have no validity in your case.
:shrug:
The only problem with this is that the hot wires are probably not long enough to reach the neutral bus in the breaker box, having been terminated at a double-pole breaker.