• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Fire TV (Regular & Stick)

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I have an ouya. Its a neat little device and is basically a simple android. I used it to run emulators and play old SNES games a couple of times. Haven't touched it since.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I got a couple emulators setup on the FireTV now, but can't play them with the regular remote.

I have an ouya. Its a neat little device and is basically a simple android. I used it to run emulators and play old SNES games a couple of times. Haven't touched it since.
A bit before it's time and marketed badly. Underpowered for a "game console" and not marketed as a streaming device that can play games. I do like the "everything is free to try" angle. Isn't Ouya dead though, or on it's last leg?

Honestly, I see the FireTV (and possibly upcoming Android TV devices) as pretty much the same as the Ouya, but with a much larger company backing it and marketed as a media streaming device that can also play games.

Someday, possibly soon, these little micro consoles will be good enough to take over the role of a dedicated game console. IMHO, once they get to the level of say a PS3 or Xbox 360 that will be good enough. Unlike the dedicated game consoles a media streaming micro console doesn't need to be better than the competition, it just needs to be good enough.

BOP - just get a game controller, doesn't have to be the official Amazon Fire TV one.

Amazon.com PlayPad Pro for Amazon Fire TV Kindle Store

Amazon.com Tronsmart Mars G01 2.4G Wireless Game Controller Gamepad for Android Cell PhonePS3Android Tablet PCMINI PCAndroid TV BOX Computers Accessories

Amazon.com Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad for Android, Amazon Fire TV, Smart Devices, PC, Mac, and M.O.J.O. Micro-Console Video Games

etc.... I don't know about the Ouya one you linked above, didn't see any replies saying it definitely works with FTV. I originally bought a Nkyo Playpad (not the pro) and it didn't work even though it was claimed to be the same as the Pro and supposedly for any Android device. It paired with other Android devices fine, just not with my FTV.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A bit before it's time and marketed badly. Underpowered for a "game console" and not marketed as a streaming device that can play games. I do like the "everything is free to try" angle. Isn't Ouya dead though, or on it's last leg?

Honestly, I see the FireTV (and possibly upcoming Android TV devices) as pretty much the same as the Ouya, but with a much larger company backing it and marketed as a media streaming device that can also play games.

Someday, possibly soon, these little micro consoles will be good enough to take over the role of a dedicated game console. IMHO, once they get to the level of say a PS3 or Xbox 360 that will be good enough. Unlike the dedicated game consoles a media streaming micro console doesn't need to be better than the competition, it just needs to be good enough.

BOP - just get a game controller, doesn't have to be the official Amazon Fire TV one.

Amazon.com PlayPad Pro for Amazon Fire TV Kindle Store

Amazon.com Tronsmart Mars G01 2.4G Wireless Game Controller Gamepad for Android Cell PhonePS3Android Tablet PCMINI PCAndroid TV BOX Computers Accessories

Amazon.com Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad for Android, Amazon Fire TV, Smart Devices, PC, Mac, and M.O.J.O. Micro-Console Video Games

etc.... I don't know about the Ouya one you linked above, didn't see any replies saying it definitely works with FTV. I originally bought a Nkyo Playpad (not the pro) and it didn't work even though it was claimed to be the same as the Pro and supposedly for any Android device. It paired with other Android devices fine, just not with my FTV.
The first one you linked to is sold out for 1 to 2 months- yours will work if you can get it flashed to the latest firmware.

The second one is virtually the same as what I ordered.

The third is more expensive.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Oh since I see someone searching for the answer- How do you turn off an Amazon Fire TV (or FIre TV Stick)?

A: You don't, just leave it on the Home screen and after a few minutes of inactivity it will go into standby mode- the white LED on front will turn off. To actually power it off you have to take the power cord out.

How to reset or reboot the Amazon Fire TV?

A: To reboot the Amazon Fire TV without removing the power cord hold down together both the Play button and Select button (the one in the center of the round directional clicker) for about 5 seconds and the Amazon Fire TV should begin to reboot. If all else fails however remove the power cord from the back of the unit, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Mine's on right now...running the sideloaded Sirius app in the living room. Sirius and XBMC are my main uses for it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Tip: To reboot the Amazon TV hold down the select button and the Play button at the same time until it reboots- about 5 or 6 seconds.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I got the watchespn app to work with charter. I did not go to the site they had specifically for the firetv to activate it, but instead went to the regular activation page

I got the watchespn app to work with charter. I did not go to the site they had specifically for the firetv to activate it, but instead went to the regular activation page
Why are you using the app, cant you just turn on ESPN? Or do you only have cable internet and not cable tv? In which case, how do you get a subscription to ESPN if not paying for cable? I guess Im just confused why you are doing that.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Why are you using the app, cant you just turn on ESPN? Or do you only have cable internet and not cable tv? In which case, how do you get a subscription to ESPN if not paying for cable? I guess Im just confused why you are doing that.
I do not cable or internet in my home.:shush:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well the OUYA gamepad works fine on the Fire TV... The fact it has a trackpad that can be used as a mouse makes it far better than the regular Amazon controler IMO as there are some apps that are absolutely impossible to navigate without a mouse- and now you have one basically easily available without having to stick in a USB mouse or having yet another device.

I do wish it had some extra buttons though... also the dpad is a bit small for my fingers. I may look at a PS4 control pad.

One weird thing - the OUYA has no instructions on how to put in the batteries, nor is there any visible battery compartment nor charging port. I was :puzzled:. Turns out you have to separate the front from the back, along the sides. Each side pops off individually and one AA battery goes in each side.

Batteries not included.

I have yet to even have a use for a mouse pad on my FireTV, but if I start side-loading more apps I might. Good info to keep i mind. I knew it had a mouse pad, but I didn't know it would actually work.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Well the OUYA gamepad works fine on the Fire TV... The fact it has a trackpad that can be used as a mouse makes it far better than the regular Amazon controler IMO as there are some apps that are absolutely impossible to navigate without a mouse- and now you have one basically easily available without having to stick in a USB mouse or having yet another device.

I do wish it had some extra buttons though... also the dpad is a bit small for my fingers. I may look at a PS4 control pad.

One weird thing - the OUYA has no instructions on how to put in the batteries, nor is there any visible battery compartment nor charging port. I was :puzzled:. Turns out you have to separate the front from the back, along the sides. Each side pops off individually and one AA battery goes in each side.

Batteries not included.
I think there are instructions for the controller with the Ouya console. Maybe they figure you're buying a second controller and don't need instructions.

The Ouya trackpad is meh. "Click" function is hit or miss. Mine's been in the garage though, maybe it's just dirty.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I see the Amazon remotes are listed as back in stock today. Will get one so I have a 2nd controller for 2 player games.

I have emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance setup, seemingly working well... I ordered a 32 gig mini USB stick that I will load all the ROMs onto and plug into the Fire TV's USB port. Spent a good part of yesterday finding all the games I remember playing as a kid.

You can't use external USB storage on the AFTV (yet). It's limited to 8G only, which is really more like 5.5G usable after the OS and such. Period. Unless you root the device which isn't possible on current firmware.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You can't use external USB storage on the AFTV (yet). It's limited to 8G only, which is really more like 5.5G usable after the OS and such. Period. Unless you root the device which isn't possible on current firmware.
Damn... :banghead:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So, rather than putting ROMs on a USB drive I can keep them on a network drive- I can access each ROM individually via ES File Explorer. Selecting the ROM file I can open it in emulator directly which had the added benefit I don't need to put each emulator on the home screen. :thup2:

Exactly. I consider it the one glaring mistake. How can you treat it as a casual gaming device when there isn't room for all the games? I bought Bard's Tale (fairly entertaining), but I had to download the low-quality gfx version due to space. I've had to uninstall to the cloud a few games my kids installed when my AFTV ran out of space. I couldn't even side-load World of Tanks: Blitz for my kid because after the ~50M install it needs a 2.6G download.

I still think it's a great streaming device, they just need to unlock USB storage capability, or support smb mounting and running apps from there, to really enable the gaming side.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Side loaded the "FX Now" app on so have access to ever episode of The Simpsons. Unfortunately it needs a mouse to work, but the OUYA controlled makes that easy with its touchpad. Really increases the number of usable apps. :rockz:

However as a straight game controller the Amazon pad is better, plus it has dedicated back/home/etc... buttons. Basically its the same as the OUYA + original remote, minus the voice search.

Update: FXNOW app is available natively for Amazon Fire TV (all models) and you can play The Simpsons episodes continuously with no just the regular remote.

Last edited: