• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

$824 tv question

I have $824 in my pocket. Should I buy this:

Samsung UN48H6350 48-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV

We have a 37" LCD, that is 6-7 years old, maybe more. The room that it is in is 16'x12', and the tv sits directly in the center of the 16' wall. Our sofa is along one of the 12' walls, and the other 12' wall isnt actually a wall, but a bar countertop, and on into the kitchen. so from the kitchen we can see the tv.

Im pretty sure that 55"+ is just to darn big. 46"-48" seems about right, really the 37" is nice, but a little bigger would be better.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It was basically a 50/50 tossup for me between the 60" version of the one you linked and the Sony I ended up getting. For me the reason was the Sony was $100 cheaper and available locally.

I'm sure the 48 inch of that TV is very nice as well.

I say go for it.

It was basically a 50/50 tossup for me between the 60" version of the one you linked and the Sony I ended up getting. For me the reason was the Sony was $100 cheaper and available locally.

I'm sure the 48 inch of that TV is very nice as well.

I say go for it.
This one? I find it appealing that the Samsung I can plug in my usb hard drive and play our home movies or look at pics, it has a built in browser, and can mirror a smartphone (for pics or movies) to the tv. That is what I wanted the Amazon Fire to do, but it doesnt.

Amazon.com Sony KDL48W600B 48-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV Electronics

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Based on your description you're looking at a perpendicular wall to see the TV.

So from the kitchen the TV is 16'+ away and centered, from the couch you're always turning your head to look at it?

Just want clarity as we went through this about two years ago when we remodeled our living room.

Based on your description you're looking at a perpendicular wall to see the TV.

So from the kitchen the TV is 16'+ away and centered, from the couch you're always turning your head to look at it?

Just want clarity as we went through this about two years ago when we remodeled our living room.
Correct on all. Sitting on the couch we are staring directly over the bar counter into the kitchen, and have to look left to the tv. From the couch, the tv is pretty close, maybe 8'ish, which is why I dont think a 55"+ would be good at all. And we really dont watch from the kitchen, just listen sometimes. I'll be in the kitchen and kids/wife on couch watching a show.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Cool. I think the size you've chosen will be correct. Ours is across the 16' stretch (16'x14' room) and a 60" is perfect. From your description I feel that a 46-50" would be perfect to my eyes.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This one? I find it appealing that the Samsung I can plug in my usb hard drive and play our home movies or look at pics, it has a built in browser, and can mirror a smartphone (for pics or movies) to the tv. That is what I wanted the Amazon Fire to do, but it doesnt.

Amazon.com Sony KDL48W600B 48-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV Electronics
Basically the 60 inch version of that one yes. So far my biggest complaint is the stand, you really can turn the TV to get behind it with just 1 person as the stand only has feet in the back, it's not a long bar like in front, so if you turn it so part of the stand overhangs the stand it is on, it will just fall over.

2nd biggest complaint is mitigated by the fact I have an Amazon Fire TV and that is that the apps feel slow. YouTube and Netflix work OK, but the app to browse local files (on a hard drive or network) leaves a lot to be desired- it doesn't read in any folders, it basically just lists all videos on a given drive so if you have hundreds like I do it's very hard to find the one you want.

Cool. I think the size you've chosen will be correct. Ours is across the 16' stretch (16'x14' room) and a 60" is perfect. From your description I feel that a 46-50" would be perfect to my eyes.
Messing around with my tape measure and our current tv, that is what we thought. Anything larger would just be way to big.

42" works well in our room of about the same size.
If we had that size already, we wouldnt be upgrading, I think that would fit nicely. Since we rarely spend money on bigger purchases, then going from 37 to 46+ makes more sense, plus we may look for a bigger house in a year or two, we are going to need a little more space, so figure go on and get a slightly larger tv.

Link shows $678 now.
That is my fault, we got an HSA reimbursement for $824 so we are pretending it is "free money" and were thinking of getting a $600-$700ish tv and an Amazon Fire.

Basically the 60 inch version of that one yes. So far my biggest complaint is the stand, you really can turn the TV to get behind it with just 1 person as the stand only has feet in the back, it's not a long bar like in front, so if you turn it so part of the stand overhangs the stand it is on, it will just fall over.

2nd biggest complaint is mitigated by the fact I have an Amazon Fire TV and that is that the apps feel slow. YouTube and Netflix work OK, but the app to browse local files (on a hard drive or network) leaves a lot to be desired- it doesn't read in any folders, it basically just lists all videos on a given drive so if you have hundreds like I do it's very hard to find the one you want.
Apps on the Fire TV, or apps on the Sony are slow?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Still waiting for the 200 dollar Walmart 50" to be delivered. That's good enough for me.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I wish one of you turds would FedEx me some. It's really supposed to help with these headaches and I'm too old and uncool to land any.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I have lived in Colopoto for three months and have not yet been in a dispensary. I just want to see what they are like.