• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Home Router is a public Hot Spot?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's basically two separate routers in the same box... You could probably figure out which antenna is the comcast public wifi and unscrew it if you wanted to "stick it to the man." It doesn't use your bandwidth- just your electricity.

Ralph

VIP
It's basically two separate routers in the same box... You could probably figure out which antenna is the comcast public wifi and unscrew it if you wanted to "stick it to the man." It doesn't use your bandwidth- just your electricity.
From the article:
You can turn it off by calling Comcast or logging into your account online.

If they'd like to lease it from me, that would be fine
Since it's only for existing Comcast customers and doesn't affect your bandwidth, plus you can turn it off by logging into their website or calling them, I don't see what the issue is. If it was really public wifi that used your bandwidth, then I would agree.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm skeptical that it wouldn't affect your bandwidth.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Outsiders never get access to your private, password-protected home network. Each box has two separate antennae, Comcast explained. That means criminals can't jump from the public channel into your network and spy on you.
Right. And my PIN and account information are secure when I use my debit card somewhere.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Internal antennas.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Our dumb**** IT guy couldn't figure out how to network our office with wifi, so my estimator brought in his own router and setup his own wifi off of our network. It covers 75% of the office.