• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone use a Film to Digital Video or DVD conversion service?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Not go on Google and find some, I did that. Curious if anyone actually used any?

I'm seeing prices around 20 cents a foot, and I've got over 1200 feet of Super 8mm film I'd like to get transferred to Digital Video. Preferably to HD H.264 MPEG4 files.

This place admits to sending it out to someplace, so I'm trying to find that place directly, why pay for a middle-man?

Best Movie Film Transfer in New York

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
They offer a real low price for 1 reel as a "test" and then if you like it you pay normal price for the rest of your reels.

So I'm sending them my parents' wedding, about 150 feet of super-8 film. We'll see how it goes. They'll do it for $26 when normal price would be about $60. Can't beat that if it works out.

For that price I had to send them a USB stick to save the digital copy to.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Let me know how that works out Joe.
I have one 8mm reel from the mid 60's that my late father took and I have been shopping around as well. This particular reel only has about 20 feet on it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'll post a youtube link when I get the video back. Estimated completion date is August 6 to 8th, I am mailing it out tomorrow.

They're in Ojai California... I was there years ago, beautiful area.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
They offer a real low price for 1 reel as a "test" and then if you like it you pay normal price for the rest of your reels.

So I'm sending them my parents' wedding, about 150 feet of super-8 film. We'll see how it goes. They'll do it for $26 when normal price would be about $60. Can't beat that if it works out.

For that price I had to send them a USB stick to save the digital copy to.
Odd that they won't burn a DVD. Even as a data disc and not a typical DVD.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
x2

I'm sure he will spout off the typical bullshit about streaming being the future, but for now I don't see any streaming offerings that feature both incredible picture quality AND the high-end 7.1+ channel audio found on Blu-ray movies.

When I want to watch a movie, I go rent it on Blu-ray. **** that streaming shit, it's for TV shows and junk movies.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I spoke with them a couple days ago, it's a husband/wife team that does it. I got the email yesterday the transfer was complete and a tracking number for the return shipment, it should be here tomorrow.

The USB drive will have both raw footage and "stabilized" video so I can see the difference.

Looking forward to it. :up:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well it was most certaining worth the wait!

A few seconds short of 10 minutes of footage - roughly 150 feet of Super 8 film.

So many family members in their younger days. One of my Great Grandmothers as well, the only one alive at the time. (She died shortly after I was born.)

It was a surprise that after the wedding was footage that was even older, maybe 1972 of my Dad, his brother, and friends playing in a pool at his (parents) house. My aunt and his dog are in it too.

It ends with some footage shot from a boat of Coney Island, NY.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well last month I sent them the rest of the remaining film... just over 60 minutes... covering my birth to Christmas 1980. I still haven't watched it all but what I have is amazing. Any concerns I had over the price was washed away in the first 5 minutes hearing my dad talk to newborn me. :teary:

I will post video when it's finished uploading.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Naked me as a baby... also you *almost* see my mom's boob at one point.

It's long... but man... priceless memories.