• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

House Plans

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
depending on exactly what they put in for landscaping, driveways, etc.
Just tell them to put the damn house up, I'll worry about driveways and landscaping.

Know how I'm going to fix some of the landscaping problems at my house? Tri-axle of crusher run. Problem solved. :agree:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'd be shocked beyond belief if that comes in around $300k.
Im betting you end up with a quote between $375k and $450k, depending on exactly what they put in for landscaping, driveways, etc.
To be fair, my builder hasn't quoted me on the plan yet and like I said... I'd change it dramatically to avoid extra corners. I'd likely have a new plan drawn with that as a loose basis. I like the layout and flow, but not the full exterior. My builder (haven't formally chosen him, but I do like him) advises that he can make design suggestions to help on cost and that while he also has been known to bid higher than others on the same job, he typically doesn't have a lot of overages and some of his clients that went with a lower bid had a result that came out higher than him.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not sure much could be done differently with a main floor master unless you stuck the garage in the middle.

Id prefer a separated garage, with a covered walkway. I dont like attached garages, they make the house ugly and take up so much window space.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Just tell them to put the damn house up, I'll worry about driveways and landscaping.

Know how I'm going to fix some of the landscaping problems at my house? Tri-axle of crusher run. Problem solved. :agree:
Some people like for their shit to look nice :paper:

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Some people like for their shit to look nice :paper:
Plus, no bank is going to release construction funds with a plan like that. They don't want to end up with the place anyway, but they damn sure don't want something unmarketable when it's brand new.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:jump::jump::jump: Your bullshit detector should have started blaring right about then
Maybe, but he went on to list off about a dozen such suggestions or considerations. Some that were obvious to me, some that were less so.

Maybe, but he went on to list off about a dozen such suggestions or considerations. Some that were obvious to me, some that were less so.
You really are just going to have to find a specific site and a plan and get full bids before you have any idea what it will cost.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
My builder (haven't formally chosen him, but I do like him) advises that he can make design suggestions to help on cost
That's contractor speak for it will save you 10 cents, and me 90 cents and I'll reduce the cost of the project 10 cents.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You really are just going to have to find a specific site and a plan and get full bids before you have any idea what it will cost.
Understand that completely, but I still need to understand the ballpark cost for building since that dictates the budget for the land. What I don't want to do is spend $150k on land and find that my remaining budget of say $250k isn't enough to build with.

Understand that completely, but I still need to understand the ballpark cost for building since that dictates the budget for the land. What I don't want to do is spend $150k on land and find that my remaining budget of say $250k isn't enough to build with.
$250k will probably not be enough to build with, unless you seriously change the scope of your house to be basically a 1400-1500 sq foot box.

I looked up the numbers on my sister's quote. The builder told her "no problem, we can do that for $125 /sqft" when she showed him that link I posted. She bought the plans, got the septic stuff done, and a couple other things, and his actual bid came back at $165 /sqft. At 1700 sq feet, they thought they could get the house for $215k-$220k and then add exterior stuff (were shooting for $250 max), but the bid came back at $280k with no driveway, no landscaping, no septic, and looking at closer to $315k+.

The house you posted is nicer and larger. Take it with a grain of salt, because you might get a better bid, but these are legit numbers from February of this year. My sister and her husband ended up buying a 2500 sq foot house for $255k...4 bed, 3 bath, bonus room, best elementary school in the county, 2 car garage.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
$250k will probably not be enough to build with, unless you seriously change the scope of your house to be basically a 1400-1500 sq foot box.
My point exactly. That's why it's important to pick a plan and get a ballpark ahead of time.

The house you posted is nicer and larger. Take it with a grain of salt, because you might get a better bid, but these are legit numbers from February of this year. My sister and her husband ended up buying a 2500 sq foot house for $255k...4 bed, 3 bath, bonus room, best elementary school in the county, 2 car garage.
That's a starting point, not the specific plan we want.

And the builder is a long-time friend of my dad's. The builder has been doing this 30 years. HITF do you do something for 30 years and be off by 30% on your bid.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Wow, I'm not sure if I should be really happy or really scared of the $90/sqft our build ran. :flee:
Huge variance regionally and depending on finishing. IIRC, you have a painted concrete slab for a floor. That's a huge difference in cost from a basement and hardwood.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Huge variance regionally and depending on finishing. IIRC, you have a painted concrete slab for a floor. That's a huge difference in cost from a basement and hardwood.
No, the stained concrete floor in half the house was at my last place. The current place has carpet and tile, and a finished basement.