• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

WTF is this?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm assuming it's water. Not sure where it came from though.

Grease was changed ~July 2013. Have not been doing any offroading. Has not been in more than a couple inches of rainwater.

The only thing I can think was that it still had some water or dirty fluid in the tubes when I changed the seals and fluid in 2013.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Replaced both wheel bearings and seals. Cleaned it out as best I could then filled it back up. May drain and re-fill in 6 months just for good measure.

Water for sure. I'd be surprised if it's just condensation. If you did even a quick water crossing and the differential was hot the cooling effect of the water could have caused a vacuum through the vent. If the vent hose isn't there you sucked in water. Best explanation I have for that much water.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Water for sure. I'd be surprised if it's just condensation. If you did even a quick water crossing and the differential was hot the cooling effect of the water could have caused a vacuum through the vent. If the vent hose isn't there you sucked in water. Best explanation I have for that much water.
easily could have a cracked vent hose down low, letting in way more water than it should ever see.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My thoughts too... but I changed the fluid in July 2013 and have not done any sort of water crossings in years.