• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LED lighting

Ardvark

Seriously you would rather find a potato and cut it and deal with mess rather then shut off power and use pliers

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
I bought 12 LED bulbs when they were on special for $5 each. They are up in the fixtures in the new place up North. They look fine, and will be just great. I still need more, but that was a good start. They take about 1/4 or 1/2 second to light from switch on, though. Odd.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
They take about 1/4 or 1/2 second to light from switch on, though. Odd.
Parents have LEDs in the kitchen cans that have that delay. It irks me because I never remember which switch, and when they don't come on instantly, I turn it back off only to retry every switch and purposely wait.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
I put a couple of round LED ceiling lights in the garage; they are similar to the incandescent "Hooter lights", but use a bunch of LED's. Switch 'em on and instant daylight, which in a garage is great. :)

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
converted to all LEDs over the winter. I have several lights that stay on all the time.

so far I'm down 150kwh a month. :rockz:

much more dramatic than the conversion to CFLs.

currently lighting the entire house for ~100 watts. Biggest energy hogs now are PCs and TVs.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
only fair to note that the LED in my fridge makes my meat look funky.

I also have heard that the wavelength of LEDs do not attract bugs in outdoor applications. I'm about 500 feet away from a large lake and protected wetlands, another 30 days and we should know for sure.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
converted to all LEDs over the winter. I have several lights that stay on all the time.

so far I'm down 150kwh a month. :rockz:

much more dramatic than the conversion to CFLs.

currently lighting the entire house for ~100 watts. Biggest energy hogs now are PCs and TVs.
Heat and air conditioning

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I also have heard that the wavelength of LEDs do not attract bugs in outdoor applications. I'm about 500 feet away from a large lake and protected wetlands, another 30 days and we should know for sure.
I haven't seen proof of that yet. I changed the bulb above the back door to an LED and still seemed to have bugs.

Got LED's in the computer room, kitchen, and basement staircase. Last month's electric bill was $31. If there's a light on most of the time it's either in the computer room or the kitchen, the rest of the house is generally dark. I leave the light over the back door on all night.

Last edited: