• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bees in my hood

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3861888.shtml?cat=500#.VbZD4PLbKmI

Bees are creating major problems for a Westside Albuquerque neighborhood.
In fact, when a KOB crew showed up to cover this story, the homeowner was wearing a bee keeper suit and his neighbors were furious at him.
Folks in Ventana Ranch called KOB and said they were being attacked by blood-thirsty bees living in their neighbor's backyard.
It was far worse than it sounded.
"Is the bee still in your hair?" shrieked Jo Blackstone, helping a friend as bees swarmed the pair on Sunday.
"They're on me too," shouted KOB photojournalist Andy Morgan.
Believe it: using the phrase "under attack" to describe this Albuquerque neighborhood is no exaggeration.
"This is every day for you guys?" asked KOB reporter Caleb James as bees swarmed.
"Today alone I have been stung 5 times," Blackstone said.
Blackstone's life has turned to chaos ever since a swarm of bees started attacking people and pets in her neighborhood.
"We've been trapped inside all day," next-door-neighbor Sarah Emms said. "Yeah, we haven't left the house at all."
Emms is deathly allergic to bees—she won't leave the house after her little dog Oreo was swarmed and barely escaped with his life.
"Now I'm scared," Emms said.
So where are the bees coming from?
Blackstone snapped pics of two giant beehives in the backyard of a house three-doors down.
"Can we talk to you about your bees?" reporter James shouted at a man outside the house wearing a full bee suit. "They're ruining everyone's lives."
The man came around his home from the back yard covered in bees, and they attacked.
The latest victim -- KOB's photojournalist Andy Morgan.
"I got stung shooting your story bro," Morgan said.
The man tells KOB he's been ordered to remove his hives—and says he has -- although evidence suggested otherwise. There were countless bees swarming him—protected by a bee suit—on Sunday.
"Your neighbors hate your bees!" shouted James.
The man said he removed most of the bees Sunday morning, and only had one "bucket" of bees to move off the property by the end of the day, though there were still bees swarming him and the neighborhood.
For Blackstone it feels like being held hostage.
"We have been trapped in our house because it's gotten so extreme," said Blackstone.
KOB is working to learn more about the origin of the bees, because they appear far more aggressive than your everyday honey bee.
KOB has learned the Ventana Ranch Neighborhood Association is cracking down on the bees—telling that man they need to go.
He tells KOB he's taking them to a farm in Corrales.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Fawk that.....I'd burn the place down as long as their not honey bees....which the story doesn't say, other than they're more aggressive than honey bees.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Yeah I would be far more proactive if I was able bodied then waiting for neighbor. Take plenty of video, document the problem, then fix it. When the lawsuit comes, play the video for the jury.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
There is an effective solution to the problem, though it might be a bit slow.

Take some cockroach bait or similar stuff which contains fipronil, mix with sugar, and offer to the bees as a liquid.

The problem will get solved in a few weeks.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The wasp nest I was dealing with got knocked down by a storm, hit it with some wasp spray and they are no more. Bye bye Mr. Wasp.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Steve, when I saw that on the news, I thought of you. On the upside, at least they cannot get caught up in your hair. :panic:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Steve, when I saw that on the news, I thought of you. On the upside, at least they cannot get caught up in your hair. :panic:

:shakefist:

The only upside to this story is I'm finally going to look in to getting an epipen from my doc.