• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Modular

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Anyone build a modular home? I know they used to be about as good quality as a trailer, but I have a friend that swears them to be viable and a good alternative to traditional stick built.

What says JU? White trash?

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
What defines modular home? About 20 years ago I watched a house built in my neighborhood and each room arrived on a trailer and was craned into place. Big expensive house, too, not some trailer park job.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
What defines modular home? About 20 years ago I watched a house built in my neighborhood and each room arrived on a trailer and was craned into place. Big expensive house, too, not some trailer park job.
That's a modular. Depending on the area, they could be more expensive. I think I know only one couple that has build one of those in the last 20 years.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I've seen a few of them around. While I've never toured one, from the outside you'd never know it wasn't stick built. So long as I could get a mortgage I wouldn't reject the idea.

But then, I'd be happy with a doublewide and acreage.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
I've seen a few of them around. While I've never toured one, from the outside you'd never know it wasn't stick built. So long as I could get a mortgage I wouldn't reject the idea.

But then, I'd be happy with a doublewide and acreage.
This. Enough acreage, and I could settle for quite a bit in terms of home.

I recommend a basement, though. You're not in tornado territory, but wind damage is not unheard of.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I wouldn't want to live where I couldn't have a basement. I just wouldn't. Assuming it becomes mine, my house has a basement. Not a huge one but a basement none the less.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I looked at a modular during my search 5 years ago. Just a ranch on a crawl space, with a garage added on one end. There was no door from the house to the garage, you'd have to go out the front door and into the garage's man door a few feet away.

Seemed pretty "traditional" inside, no paneling with the retainer strip down the center, and regular doors and windows instead of jalousie windows etc. Vinyl sided, pitched roof, deck on the back.

I considered buying it but my lender said they didn't have a program for a modular. It was closer to work than where I ended up but farther from the lake.

Last edited:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I considered buying it but my lender said they didn't have a program for a modular.
That's a thing that baffles me. I can see it if the home is obviously built with the intention of moving it... but some of the modular homes I've seen are multi floor. There's a pretty traditional two story home near my that is modular. Why would they consider it in the same class as a double-wide in a trailer park?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Modular /= manufactured, but maintains the bad stigma of manufactured. Modular is growing and is projected to be the future of multi family, assisted living and hotel construction. SFH will remain a mixed bag, but hybrids are growing in interest.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Yeah, manufactured. Likely in a controlled environment, not seeing weather until it's sealed up.

A mobile will have a title and not a deed. I remember that being a question from my lender. The one I looked at shows up on the county auditors site as premanufactured and has all the same tax info etc that my place does.

Last edited:

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
A mobile will have a title and not a deed. I remember that being a question from my lender.
Don''t know about other states, but in MN, a double-wide comes with a title to begin with. After it is mounted permanently on a slab or other hard foundation, the wheels and tongue are gone, it's hooked to utilities, and so on, you have the county come out and do an inspection which certifies it as real estate. Oh, it has to be on land owned by the individual, not a park lot. A deed is then issued by the state, and from then on, it's the same as any other house.
:beerchug:

slideways

Parents built a 2 story modular in 1988... still standing. Roof done about 9 yrs ago. Has basement with french drains.. no water issues etc. My bedroom was at one end as a kid.. when the weather was right the wall would POP at night real loud once and done lol. Has an attached 2 car garage w addition over top. Can access garage from basement mudroom which was done later. Originally a staircase from addition down into garage.

John

Transplant
VIP
Modular /= manufactured, but maintains the bad stigma of manufactured. Modular is growing and is projected to be the future of multi family, assisted living and hotel construction. SFH will remain a mixed bag, but hybrids are growing in interest.
This thread is also blurring the lines. Flown in walls doesn't necessarily mean modular. I know if national builders that fly in walls.

Ardvark

I know a guy who is plant manager for one here and he swears by the fact that homes built in a control indoor environment are way better than on site ones

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I know a guy who is plant manager for one here and he swears by the fact that homes built in a control indoor environment are way better than on site ones
Build might be decent, but then they turn them over to bubba's trucking company to ship and unload and that's when the fun begins. Probably use less skilled labor on setup since they don't need a good framing crew, so I'd suspect the crew they are able to get to assemble the big Legos.