• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Jeep Brakes

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Quick rundown from Autozone. Typically I'll buy some from AAP some from AZ online with some discount codes for 10-20% off. Total before discounts is $326. Price shopping and coupons between AAP, AZ, O'Reiley will generally net 20% off. I also have a warranty on the calipers and pads having bought them before so about all I ever have to pay for is rotors.....

Pads Front: $20 DuralastBrake Pads - Front (MKD477) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Calipers Front: $20 x 2 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Front (C337) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Rotors Front: $27 x 2 DuralastBrake Rotor - Front (5115) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Hose Front: $16 x 2 BrakewareBrake Hose - Front (78126) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

For 8.8 rear....
Brake Pads Rear: $20 DuralastBrake Pads - Rear (D667) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Rotors Rear: $30 x 2 DuralastBrake Rotor - Rear (54032) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Calipers Rear: $37 x 2 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Rear (C577) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Hose Rear: $13 x 2 BrakewareBrake Hose - Rear (78738) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
why are you replacing the brake lines?
I had a caliper seize up and wreck a fresh set of pads and a rotor, so I just replaced the entire front end brake system when I fixed it. Lines had over 200k on them, were cheap, and didn't take much extra time to change when I was already changing a caliper.

On another note, I borrowed my FIL's F150 this weekend and had the brakes go out on me on the way to the dump. Turns out that one of the metal lines in the engine compartment between the master cylinder and the ABS pump had rusted through and was shooting brake fluid all over the engine every time I hit the brake. Very odd occurrence IMO. Took us longer to bleed the brakes than to replace the line.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Quick rundown from Autozone. Typically I'll buy some from AAP some from AZ online with some discount codes for 10-20% off. Total before discounts is $326. Price shopping and coupons between AAP, AZ, O'Reiley will generally net 20% off. I also have a warranty on the calipers and pads having bought them before so about all I ever have to pay for is rotors.....

Pads Front: $20 DuralastBrake Pads - Front (MKD477) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Calipers Front: $20 x 2 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Front (C337) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Rotors Front: $27 x 2 DuralastBrake Rotor - Front (5115) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Hose Front: $16 x 2 BrakewareBrake Hose - Front (78126) | 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com

For 8.8 rear....
Brake Pads Rear: $20 DuralastBrake Pads - Rear (D667) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Rotors Rear: $30 x 2 DuralastBrake Rotor - Rear (54032) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Calipers Rear: $37 x 2 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Rear (C577) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Brake Hose Rear: $13 x 2 BrakewareBrake Hose - Rear (78738) | 1996 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L EFI | AutoZone.com
I count $366 before any discount, but whatever.

That's some low grade crap :nonono:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I count $366 before any discount, but whatever.

That's some low grade crap :nonono:
Check your math. I double checked mine. It has been my experience that cheap pads cause less wear to rotors and perform better over their life than the more expensive and harder pads. Cheaper pads make more dust though. Rotors are rotors unless you're paying for high end stuff, and then they won't last as long. Calipers are calipers. I suppose I could paint them and put a logo on them, but it doesn't really make any difference.

John

Transplant
VIP
Check your math. I double checked mine. It has been my experience that cheap pads cause less wear to rotors and perform better over their life than the more expensive and harder pads. Cheaper pads make more dust though. Rotors are rotors unless you're paying for high end stuff, and then they won't last as long. Calipers are calipers. I suppose I could paint them and put a logo on them, but it doesn't really make any difference.
There is probably some truth there about rotor wear.

In my experiences, the cheap pads wear really fast and some don't have warning sensors. I wore out a set once in like 20k miles and I wore it down to metal to metal because it didn't even cross my mind that they could have worn that quickly. I was like WTF? Why is my ABS light on? I pulled the wheel off and was shocked at what I saw. :owned: Oh well, at least the brakes still worked halfway decently and I didn't kill anyone. :D

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Replaced the rotors and brake pads on my LJ last month. Used Centric C-Tek Standard Brake Rotors and Power Stop OEM quality ceramic pads. Front and rear rotors cost about $100 and about $60 for front and rear Power Stop pads, all from Amazon with free shipping. Jeep stops MUCH better and doesn't squeal like a stuck pig every time I stop. :jump:

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yeah, the calipers on your M3 are just the same as the ones on your TJ
jjj
M3 is designed to be on a race track. I used cheap pads on it too because the rotors don't have much allowable wear and cost $250 each.

John

Transplant
VIP
Stupid and you didn't address my point at all. Calipers are certainly not calipers and that's like putting cheap ass touring tires on the M3. Ruins the point of owning it.

wank

unknown entity
VIP
On the tj i had powerslot worked good. Just ordered some for the tundra. Slotted and drilled on the tj never had an issue with mud/debris personally

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The TJ isn't a race car... doesn't need race car brakes.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You're right, it's not a race car. But if you are actually wheeling it, you need quality brakes. When you are on declines for hours on end you do not want discounted parts when your life depends on it.