• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Zmodo 720P HD Wireless Indoor Network IP Camera

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Model ZH-IXA15-WAC

720P HD Wireless Indoor Network IP Camera

I picked up one of these on the cheap the other day from Woot! I have it pointed out from front window now to keep an eye on what's going on outside. I taped over the green "power" LED with black electrical tape so it won't be so obvious at night.

So far video quality is about what I expected, and that is to say, nowhere near what I'd expect from a true 720p camera.

Setup ran into a few issues. Following the "Quick Start Guide" must be very outdated.

The Quick Start Guide directly you to the Google Play store to download the Zmodo Zsight app. (Also on the Apple App Store.)

Well first surprise is Zmodo Zsight does not exist on Google Play, not sure it ever has, will give the benefit of the doubt it did at one time. The new name is Zviewer (also by Zmodo) - downloaded it without issue.

One quirk of Zviewer is the settings menu only shows when holding the device/screen in portrait mode. There is no access to the settings in landscape mode at all, and nothing to tell you you need to turn the screen.

However the initial setup I did through my PC which meant I had to downoad Zviewer for Windows from the Zmodo website, which I did, and it installed easily.

The default password for both the program and the cameras is 111111. (Six ones.) It is confusing why they both password protect the viewing program on Windows when each individual camera has a password and there is no such password protection on the mobile app.

A few issues noticed when setting up the camera. First the camera needs to be plugged in via Ethernet for initial setup, which is annoying.

After you get it connected I could not find it on the network. I had to enter the CAM ID code on the back of the camera for it to be found. At the end of the setup it was suggested I change the password, which I did without incident.

Now I still had to go back (while it was wired in) and go to settings -> network settings -> wifi and enable wifi. Then I have to double click on the SSID so i could enter the wireless password, there was no button/box to do this so it wasn't intuitive.

When it was all set I went ahead and took out the ethernet and prepared to connect wirelessly for the first time. It did not work.

Long story short... The password field for the camera password only accepts 15 characters max. If your password was longer than that it simply ignore the additional characters when the password was saved, BUT it does not ignore them when you try to log in. I had to use only the first 15 character to log in. Knowing that off the bat could save someone hours of frustration.

mommieoma

I need help with one of these...

Hello, thanks for letting me join. Hoping that you remember what you did to get yours working....

I just got one of these cameras and can't seem to get it to work. I cannot see the camera with the Zmoto applications either on my computer or android device. I don't know how to /can't connect to the camera to find out what the IP address is.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
OK... well my real experience is getting it working on the PC...

1) Do you have it connected by Ethernet cable to your router?
2) Do you know the CAM ID from the sticker on the camera?
3) Did you install zplayer for Windows?

mommieoma

Thanks for the response... here's a little more info

It is connected to my Lynksys router with an ethernet cable. I checked the DHCP table and it isn't listed there. I have npnp enabled on the router. The lights on both the camera and the router look normal (lit and blinking).

I tried to use Zmodo IPCsearch software & it couldn't see it. I have an Foscam clone on the same router and the IPC doesn't see that either so I'm not sure what that might mean... but I can see the other camera in the DHCP table, and can log into the camera to view it on my PC, and IP Camview on my android.

I installed Zmodo Viewer software. I have the CAM ID of the camera, and entered that into the software but it still couldn't find it. When I tried on my android device it never get's to the place to prompt for my WIFI info.

I installed ISPY software and tried that, but it only see's my printer and router, not the other camera either...

I'm guessing that maybe there is a setting in my router that isn't right but I don't have a clue what it might be.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What is the gateway address of your router? 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or something else?

Have you read this doc? Link

Note
Required Before Installation:
 Please make sure that router’s UPNP and DHCP are enabled before camera.
 Router’s wireless authentication mode cannot be set “WEP Encrypted”.
 The camera must be connected to your router using a network cable before it is set up to
use Wi-Fi. Your mobile device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the camera
(It is suggested to shut down mobile phone’s 3G Network).

mommieoma

IDK...

I did read that document and followed it. No luck on either device. When I install Zmodo ZViewer on my pc (Windows 7) the login screen window is not formatted correctly, but will take my input. Clue that something isn't quite right. My computer meets all the minimum requirements.

On my router the security mode is set to WPA Personal, which when I looked it up says by default it is Open and NOT WEP enabled.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
WPA is fine to use, that is what I use.

I think the camera has a default IP address My network I use 192.168.0.x if yours in a Linksys I think it defaults to 192.16.1.x.

Or if you have something custom it may be anything.

I would consider changing your router to the 192.168.0.x scheme just long enough to see if you can "see" the camera and if so, put it in DHCP mode. Note - after changing the scheme of your router the easiest thing to do would be to reboot your PC to get the new IP address.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Does your computer have any 3rd party firewall/internet security software? If so have you tried disabling that? Even Windows Firewall?

Is the computer on wifi? Maybe temporarily connect it by Ethernet to the same router-

If you do both those and still can't 'see' the camera I'd start considering maybe the camera is bad. :(

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I gave up on this... constantly freezing, losing connection... now I've had to factory reset it twice in 2 days.

Just not working for me. It may be my fault as I had to add a bunch of tape to cover the IR LEDs perhaps it is overheating...

Instead going with this- Amazon.com Foscam FI9821W V2 Megapixel HD 1280 x 720p H.264 WirelessWired PanTilt IP Camera with IR-Cut Filter (White) Spy Cameras Camera Photo

A little more than I wanted to spend but supposedly I can manually disable the IR LEDs so no tape needed... Plus it will be nice to pan/tilt when needed.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I gave up on this... constantly freezing, losing connection... now I've had to factory reset it twice in 2 days.

Just not working for me. It may be my fault as I had to add a bunch of tape to cover the IR LEDs perhaps it is overheating...

Instead going with this- Amazon.com Foscam FI9821W V2 Megapixel HD 1280 x 720p H.264 WirelessWired PanTilt IP Camera with IR-Cut Filter (White) Spy Cameras Camera Photo

A little more than I wanted to spend but supposedly I can manually disable the IR LEDs so no tape needed... Plus it will be nice to pan/tilt when needed.
Bad move... Don't do it. :down: Stay far away from FOSCAM!!! - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic