• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Garage Lighting?

Ralph

VIP
I'm just not sold on LED bulb tech yet. Fluorescents are cheap and durable. The efficiency gains from LED will never pay back the increased initial investment. The only place I'd consider LED over fluorescent is in a cold location.

hjeepxj

I'm just not sold on LED bulb tech yet. Fluorescents are cheap and durable. The efficiency gains from LED will never pay back the increased initial investment. The only place I'd consider LED over fluorescent is in a cold location.
Good point about fluorescents being cheap and durable.

:beerchug:

I'm not necessarily concerned about paying back my initial investment. If the light is better, that's what really matters.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I bought a fluorescent set up that plugs in to a ceiling outlet since I had a spare next to the garage door opener. Works great.

Ralph

VIP
I haven't found anything better than T8 high output fluorescent fixtures for shop lights. It's what I have everywhere in my shop. About 50 bulbs run 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. My bill is dirt cheap.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've looked at several LED bulbs in person and the light has always been considerably worse than any other bulb out there.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I have 8 dual-bulb T12 fixtures in mine and it's great, although I'm a dumb shit that didn't think about the fact that the doors would cut the light in half when open :clapping: I would have at least done the switches differently so I could turn those off separately if I had thought about it.

hjeepxj

I have 8 dual-bulb T12 fixtures in mine and it's great, although I'm a dumb shit that didn't think about the fact that the doors would cut the light in half when open :clapping: I would have at least done the switches differently so I could turn those off separately if I had thought about it.
:jump:

I am actually glad I read this - I could very easily have made the same mistake. :owned:

The lighting and a workbench are #1 and #2 on my list of things to do (aside from appropriate spring yard work of course)

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I got my folks 4ea high bay mercury vapor lights for their shop for free. Their shop is lit up like a stadium.

For a regular garage, I'd just run tube fluorescents at tight spacing. It will be well lit.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
:jump:

I am actually glad I read this - I could very easily have made the same mistake. :owned:

The lighting and a workbench are #1 and #2 on my list of things to do (aside from appropriate spring yard work of course)
While the 8 CFLs light up my area nicely, I also added a 4-bulb halogen fixture over my work bench for task lighting. Got it in clearance at Lowes for like $40-ish

Of course they're switched separately from the general overhead lights. Works great for my needs.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
While the 8 CFLs light up my area nicely, I also added a 4-bulb halogen fixture over my work bench for task lighting. Got it in clearance at Lowes for like $40-ish

Of course they're switched separately from the general overhead lights. Works great for my needs.
You can probably make cookies on that work bench.

Ralph

VIP

What brand of workbench is that? Looks like Crapsman, but hard to tell.