• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

iPod touch Bricked during normal itunes update...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Got notice a new iOS version was available, told it to update... random error during update = bricked device. Nothing posted on Apple's support pages is working. :down:

Fawk Apple.

DH350nWo

Meh
VIP
Totally dead, or is there any sign of life?

Thought I had bricked my 1st gen touch a few weeks back, but I had a copy of the IPSW file and manually uploaded the software.

Basically you press shift on your laptop and click the update link in itunes, search for the ipsw file and upload. Good idea to disconnect from the 'net while doing this as to not have itunes try to call home.

connect to computer, load itunes, press home and power button till apple logo shows, release power(top) button, continue holding home button. Ipod will enter DFU mode. once it begins loading, you can release home button. Start over with restore, then update.

connect to computer, load itunes, press home and power button till apple logo shows, release power(top) button, continue holding home button. Ipod will enter DFU mode. once it begins loading, you can release home button. Start over with restore, then update.
I'm going to try and remember this...

:beerchug:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Didn't work the first time but I tried uninstalling the apple USB drivers and can't get them to reinstall now... Manually found the 64 bit driver file but windows claims it's not a 64 but driver file and won't allow me to install it. All while following more instructions on apple's support site. :naw:

Looks like they expect me to uninstall Itunes, Safari, Quicktime, and all apple products completely, reboot, reinstall itunes, reboot again, and try again. :gay:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The windows laptop woks fine. The problem is Apple's drivers. Everything worked fine until I allowed itunes to update the ipod.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
The windows laptop woks fine. The problem is Apple's drivers. Everything worked fine until I allowed itunes to update the ipod.
trying to run a superior product on inferior equipment.. again sounds like the laptop is the issue.. or rather Windows.. :jump:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Didn't work the first time but I tried uninstalling the apple USB drivers and can't get them to reinstall now... Manually found the 64 bit driver file but windows claims it's not a 64 but driver file and won't allow me to install it. All while following more instructions on apple's support site. :naw:

Looks like they expect me to uninstall Itunes, Safari, Quicktime, and all apple products completely, reboot, reinstall itunes, reboot again, and try again. :gay:
Well I uninstalled and re installed everything... the driver now works but holding power and home did not start any type of recovery process and the ipod still has no listing in itunes.