• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I was mainly joking for Matthew's sake. I do not see a need, but would agree that in a $400k home, it could be a bonus when you are selling the house.
It's one of those things that would occasionally be nice to have but you never really need. I'd never go out of my way to install one, but I'll certainly do it during the remodel and likely will do if/when we build.

Did you ever post finished pics of your master bathroom?
I was thinking that I needed to get some better pics of both the kitchen and the bath. I'm going to install a ceiling fan in the sitting room portion of the master bedroom tonight. Will try to remember to snap some pics using the ladder to get a better perspective of both the kitchen and bath.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I would try to find a dishwasher with a stainless tub - unless you are just doing this project to flip the house ASAP.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I would try to find a dishwasher with a stainless tub - unless you are just doing this project to flip the house ASAP.
I want to get the project done and the house on the market by April 30.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Found a couple pics of the kitchen.

This was the day we found out that our lowball offer was accepted and started really looking at the work we would have to do just to get moved in. The look on my wife's face is classic and pretty much mirrored my own.

My wife, sister-in-law, and the friend that made my bathroom project possible:

Without that friend's help, I don't know that we would have gotten the bathroom project done.

So, you are going safe and boring eh? Nothing wrong with that, but I'd go for something more like: Shop Style Selections Nott Gunstock Glazed Porcelain Floor Tile (Common 6-in x 24-in; Actual 5.91-in x 23.62-in) at Lowes.com or Shop Style Selections Woods Natural Glazed Porcelain IndoorOutdoor Floor Tile (Common 6-in x 24-in; Actual 5.91-in x 23.62-in) at Lowes.com or even change it up and go with something like http://www.lowes.com/pd_591551-89276-0591551_2z8vi+4294856525__?productId=50253115&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=$1%20-%20$5

I just like the looks of the 6"x24"/36" tile. Doesn't have to be a wood grain either.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Safe & neutral is for resale. Other stuff is for a house you want to keep.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
If you're not going to buy box cabinets and install yourself, you're going to pay A LOT for new cabinets. Check out Homewyse.com and price out your kitchen. If you're buying cabs from a store, you will pay retail.

Safe & neutral is for resale. Other stuff is for a house you want to keep.
Perhaps, but a good matching or slightly contrasting wood patterned tile would still be safe while adding a touch of an upgraded feel. I can't be the only one that sees tile like you picked out and thinks "boring" and "I may want to pull that crap out." I have similar tile in my kitchen/dining/laundry/bathrooms and we've talked about yanking that ugly boring junk out. We plan to move in 7-8 years so we are just going to live with it but if I needed to replace my kitchen floors, even just for resale, I'd go with a wood patterned tile.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you're not going to buy box cabinets and install yourself, you're going to pay A LOT for new cabinets. Check out Homewyse.com and price out your kitchen. If you're buying cabs from a store, you will pay retail.
What do you mean "box cabinets"? My plan is to install myself, though I'm still going to get quotes for them both ways a reference point.

Perhaps, but a good matching or slightly contrasting wood patterned tile would still be safe while adding a touch of an upgraded feel. I can't be the only one that sees tile like you picked out and thinks "boring" and "I may want to pull that crap out." I have similar tile in my kitchen/dining/laundry/bathrooms and we've talked about yanking that ugly boring junk out. We plan to move in 7-8 years so we are just going to live with it but if I needed to replace my kitchen floors, even just for resale, I'd go with a wood patterned tile.
I personally don't think wood patterned tile adjoining real wood looks good. It won't match and two mismatched wood floors, even if one is tile, looks crappy when they're adjoining.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
My kitchen reno begins on 1/31. I'll post before and after pics. Doing it all myself. Cabinets arrive on the 27th. Granite countertops. We are removing a portion of a wall to add a breakfast bar and pendant lighting. Tile floors.

Hoping to be done in a week plus waiting for the granite to be installed. Should be a 2 week project if I plan it right.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
I got my cabinets at Cabinet Discounters which may be more local to this area, not sure, but this is the second time I will be using them for a kitchen remodel. The cabinets are mid-grade and are running just north of $5k and the granite is just over $2k. I have the blueprints at home and will scan them tomorrow and send around.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
How would you feel if the home inspector told you that the plumbing wasn't sized properly to support a disposal and that though you have one, you really can't use it properly?
Garbage disposals do not add fixture units to sanitary systems. Therefore is the plumbing doesn't support a disposal, it doesn't support the attached sink either. Disposals need a minimum 1-1/2" diameter pipe and separate trap.

Depending on where you're connecting, you can slope 3" pipe at 1/8" instead of 1/4" but your vent will need to be at least 1-1/2".

* Cabinets - TBD (may hit up a member that offered to help with ordering)
Who that be?

Also, stainless "look" in a $400k home is pure rubbish.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Reading on Ikea's website, it looks like they're coming out with a new line of "modular" cabinets in February. The :wifey: and I were planning a day trip with some friends to visit one of the stores in northern VA sometime soon. May go the weekend of 2/14 or 2/21 with an updated drawing of the kitchen with wall dimensions rather than counter dimensions like the one in the first post and see what we can do.

I don't know what the lead time is on cabinet orders, but I think stone counters are about 30 days. This is a high level timeline I'm hoping will work:

2/23 - Order cabinets & appliances
2/23 - Order dumpster for demo
2/27-3/1 - Demo
3/2-3/6 - Install backer board, frame island, plumbing for pot filler, electrical cleanup/prep, refrigerator water line replacement
3/7-3/8 - Install base cabinets
3/9 - Order counters (base cabs need to be installed for final measurements)
3/9-3/13 - Minor drywall & paint
3/14-3/15 - Install wall cabinets
3/16-3/22 - Install tile
3/23-3/29 - Install appliances
4/4-4/12 - Install counters
4/13-4/29 - Finish work
4/30 - List for sale

Definitely hiring out the labor for the demo work. I hate that part of the project the most. I think I have access to a couple people that'll work hourly for $8-10 each. I really doubt it would take two people plus myself more than 2 days to do the demo. May pay them to do the tile and help with the cabinets as well, depending on how the time goes. It's a bit aggressive, but considerably less work than the master bathroom, which took 3.5 months to complete with 1.5 friends helping.

My kitchen reno begins on 1/31. I'll post before and after pics. Doing it all myself. Cabinets arrive on the 27th. Granite countertops. We are removing a portion of a wall to add a breakfast bar and pendant lighting. Tile floors.

Hoping to be done in a week plus waiting for the granite to be installed. Should be a 2 week project if I plan it right.
What was your lead time on the granite? I think my project would be a 2 week deal if I weren't replacing the tile. Unfortunately, there really isn't any way around that.

I may end up putting in a temporary (plywood) partial counter and re-installing the old sink on that so we're not completely without a kitchen for two months. I think we could live with the toaster, sink, a cheap microwave, griddle, and the refrigerator for 2 months if we have to.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
There is nothing wrong with a disposal on septic. I've had 3 so far.

But there IS something wrong with a house WITHOUT a disposal.

For resale/creating a rental - do an over-the-range microwave.... convenient spot for one...

For your own house, they are ghetto and they suck. I cannot imagine wanting one.

What do you mean "box cabinets"? My plan is to install myself, though I'm still going to get quotes for them both ways a reference point.

I personally don't think wood patterned tile adjoining real wood looks good. It won't match and two mismatched wood floors, even if one is tile, looks crappy when they're adjoining.
Then don't go for matching. Pick a contrasting wood pattern, or something completely different. The point wasn't to make it look like a wood floor, it was suggesting 6x24 or 6x36 tile in whatever pattern you want. I threw out 1 that looked like it could be a close match and 2 other contrasting wood pattern styles because I saw a lot of wood in your photos. For that matter, just go with 6x24 in the same color/pattern you picked out for the 12x12 and it will look better IMHO. It's your house so do whatever you think is best, I just happen to think safe + neutral = higher resale value is a myth. I wouldn't suggest going crazy with it, but if I were remodeling my kitchen I'd want it to stand out as a selling point instead of a boring generic kitchen like all the other houses the potential buyers are looking at. Even if it means some people may not like it.

I put wood laminate in my basement wet bar area and chose a very non-safe pattern assuming some people would love it (including me) and others would hate it. I did not want square tile and didn't know about (perhaps not even commonly available at the time) 6x24 tile or I would have gone that route.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Garbage disposals do not add fixture units to sanitary systems. Therefore is the plumbing doesn't support a disposal, it doesn't support the attached sink either. Disposals need a minimum 1-1/2" diameter pipe and separate trap.

Depending on where you're connecting, you can slope 3" pipe at 1/8" instead of 1/4" but your vent will need to be at least 1-1/2".
Pretty sure it's 1-1/2". May be a completely different problem... hard to tell, but it seems to clog after I use the disposal, then I have to plug the other drain and run the disposal until it pushes the clog through with the pressure from running.

Also, stainless "look" in a $400k home is pure rubbish.
Might be a terminology thing. I'm not talking about grey plastic. There are a variety of finishes for stainless. Some have a coating or something to keep fingerprints down.

Ours looks like this model:

Shop Whirlpool 26.2-cu ft 4-Door French Door Refrigerator with Single Ice Maker (Monochromatic Stainless Steel) at Lowes.com

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Then don't go for matching. Pick a contrasting wood pattern, or something completely different. The point wasn't to make it look like a wood floor, it was suggesting 6x24 or 6x36 tile in whatever pattern you want. I threw out 1 that looked like it could be a close match and 2 other contrasting wood pattern styles because I saw a lot of wood in your photos. For that matter, just go with 6x24 in the same color/pattern you picked out for the 12x12 and it will look better IMHO. It's your house so do whatever you think is best, I just happen to think safe + neutral = higher resale value is a myth. I wouldn't suggest going crazy with it, but if I were remodeling my kitchen I'd want it to stand out as a selling point instead of a boring generic kitchen like all the other houses the potential buyers are looking at. Even if it means some people may not like it.

I put wood laminate in my basement wet bar area and chose a very non-safe pattern assuming some people would love it (including me) and others would hate it. I did not want square tile and didn't know about (perhaps not even commonly available at the time) 6x24 tile or I would have gone that route.
I went with staggered 18" in the master bath and 6x24 wood look around the tub. I like the look, and I agree that I'm not a fan of the 12" variety. I'm not set on 12" for the kitchen, just a starting place. The problem with the kitchen is that it's not square, so I'm going to have to do a considerable amount of cutting and I'm honestly not sure which angle I'd run the longer tiles.