• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Planet Earth II

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Premiers tonight for those of us in the USA on BBC America.

Remember watching the first one, was at the dawn of HD, at least for me.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Does this asshole always post so much
Not always. Sometimes I take 6 months off.

Anyway, I tried to watch Planet Earth II, I was enthusiastic about it, but to borrow one of their words, it was rubbish. Every other sentence was about "climate change" they used it as a soapbox for their political views I never got more than 5 or 10 minutes into a couple episodes, then ultimately deleted them all from my DVR without watching.

What a shame.

Completely different show, but Designated Survivor does something similar. More subtle, but they use secondary storylines to show their political point of view. My wife watches it and I'll watch with her. The episode we watched last night was pushing the idea that music and the arts are just as important as math and science and the fed gov't needs to give more to schools to support music programs. Previous episodes have touched on 2nd amendment rights, treatment of Muslims in the US, etc. If my wife wasn't into the show I doubt I'd ever see another episode. Not because of the clear and sometimes soap boxy CA Democratic slant, but because it seems to be slipping away from a Thriller/Drama in a political, shadow gov't, new world order setting into a "use this show to push a political agenda" type show.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Completely different show, but Designated Survivor does something similar. More subtle, but they use secondary storylines to show their political point of view. My wife watches it and I'll watch with her. The episode we watched last night was pushing the idea that music and the arts are just as important as math and science and the fed gov't needs to give more to schools to support music programs. Previous episodes have touched on 2nd amendment rights, treatment of Muslims in the US, etc. If my wife wasn't into the show I doubt I'd ever see another episode. Not because of the clear and sometimes soap boxy CA Democratic slant, but because it seems to be slipping away from a Thriller/Drama in a political, shadow gov't, new world order setting into a "use this show to push a political agenda" type show.
That's been US Prime Time TV for a long time now. Madam Secretary, all the NCIS's, etc... No surprise there.

Planet Earth II was surprising because it was BBC (so not that surprising) but Planet Earth the original (while it did occasionally mention climate change, it wasn't about man destroying the planet.

That's been US Prime Time TV for a long time now. Madam Secretary, all the NCIS's, etc... No surprise there.
Ah, ok, I've never watched any of those. Just not my kind of show. Not sure how/why we started watching Designated Survivor, but I'd put it in the "not my kind of show" category as well.
Planet Earth II was surprising because it was BBC (so not that surprising) but Planet Earth the original (while it did occasionally mention climate change, it wasn't about man destroying the planet.
It's too bad when they hurt/destroy a show in order to push a political agenda.