• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What book are you reading?

Ulf Fwatling

I avoid modern music to the point that I really only know current "artist's" names when they get arrested.
Yeah. And even then, I'm usually asking "Who?"

Physical books are better, but both electronic and audio books have their places.
I'm a dinosaur, I like turning pages. I can't get my head around CAD/CAM, I prefer drawing lines & turning knobs (besides, when you design something by hand, you have to think about where everything goes. This is why older cars could be easily worked on by human beings, while newer cards call for chimpanzees with four arms and three elbows in each arm & two thumbs on each hand!)

Designers & engineers should have to cut their teeth as mechanics - the only firm I can think of that did this was McDonnell-Douglas Aviation. "Want to be a design engineer? Your first five years will be as a mechanic!"

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I work in support of CADD operations for our department but if I want to build something, I usually break out the pencil/paper and if I want it to look quasi good I'll dig out the t-square. I've hated every CADD application since AutoCAD 2.

Really should master MicroStation....

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
I like going to Goodwill and buying a whole series or set of books for nothing.

Currently reading The Gunslinger. Only a couple pages left until I move on to "The Drawing of the Three"

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
Been listening to them in the car a lot over the last few weeks. Got one going now on habits. Interesting things habits, part of our most basic nature that seems most in touch with our animal past.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Nerd alert

Interesting stories about the discovery of the elements and the creation of the periodic table.

The title of the book is referring to an old magician's trick using the metal Gallium which has a melting point of 85 degrees. The trick uses Gallium formed into the shape of a spoon that "disappears" when submerged in hot water.

water for the elephants by sara gruen.

it's about a guy in his 90's flashing back on his life as a circus vet from a nursing home.

second book was just as good as the first. Follett amazes me with the number of characters he uses and his ability to continually weave them together. If you haven't started this series I would wait until the 3rd book is out so you can read them back to back.

This one was 1k pages or so and after holding it up while reading in bed - i am damn close to buying a tablet or e-reader. 1k books get too heavy and cumbersome to carry around.

Last edited:

Cornholio01

finished sweetness (walter payton)

holy shit what a loser. really did pout after no TD in SBXX. illegitimate kid he refused to meet. etc, etc.