• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

wait for it...

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
dunno...propane tank in the trunk or something?

mcatdtJEEP

My dad put some propane bottles in the trunk of my mothers car when I was a kid. She always drove like a bat outta hell and waited til the last moment to brake. She hit the brakes and all we heard was "clank clank clank" and mom started cussing dad (who wasn't there) about putting it in the trunk..... then stomped the accelerator to all the clanking again....

She's the most careless driver ever

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
My dad put some propane bottles in the trunk of my mothers car when I was a kid. She always drove like a bat outta hell and waited til the last moment to brake. She hit the brakes and all we heard was "clank clank clank" and mom started cussing dad (who wasn't there) about putting it in the trunk..... then stomped the accelerator to all the clanking again....

She's the most careless driver ever
They're pretty rugged. I've had them slam from back to front to back of my truck bed several times and I've never blown up.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I like the big brown stain it left on the road. Almost as big as the one I bet the driver and passenger left on their seats. :jump:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Joe's an expert though..... he can't tell you what it is but its DEFINITELY not propane
You don't need to be an expert...

There is no flash
There is no fire
The driver walked away

It was not propane.

It was some kind of inert gas- My guess is an airbag rattling around that got set off- not one built into the car obviously but one he was transporting.

mcatdtJEEP

Lol...e-experts..... you just uncovered a notorious airbags theft ring. Why do we need police.... Joe can view a 2 minute video on YouTube and solve the case

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
I figured the spare erupted, hence it was the first to leave and traveled so far.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I figured the spare erupted, hence it was the first to leave and traveled so far.
Very well could be. If paused at the exact right spot at about 36/37 seconds the white "steam" is coming out of the tire in the air, not the trunk.

Ralph

VIP
I can't see a car-sized spare having the potential energy (as a function of its volume and pressure combined) that would be required to do something like that. I was thinking maybe a NOS tank or an air receiver that failed. Hard to say.

Theoretically a flammable gas cylinder could rupture without igniting in the absence of a source of ignition, but damn near anything can be a source of ignition :shrug: Es all speculation.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I can't see a car-sized spare having the potential energy (as a function of its volume and pressure combined) that would be required to do something like that. I was thinking maybe a NOS tank or an air receiver that failed. Hard to say.

Theoretically a flammable gas cylinder could rupture without igniting in the absence of a source of ignition, but damn near anything can be a source of ignition :shrug: Es all speculation.
Maybe someone filled that tire with ~100psi setting the bead and then didn't let any back out :shrug:

My 300ZX had a compact spare with no air in it and a little pressurized cylinder to fill it up with. I'll bet that little thing could have blown like that if it ever ruptured.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Guy at work had his bicycle tire explode in his car. It blew his rear window because it was pretty tight against the glass.

wank

unknown entity
VIP
You don't need to be an expert...

There is no flash
There is no fire
The driver walked away

It was not propane.

It was some kind of inert gas- My guess is an airbag rattling around that got set off- not one built into the car obviously but one he was transporting.
Ive blown up propane tanks without fire, flame etc and not much damage occured (bbq tanks and smaller torch ones)