• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Beware: 101domain.com

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You may remember the saga with .vg TLDs and the registry hijacking thread from last year:

.vg TLD issues - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic

Well that seems to have been somewhat resolved. KSRegistry apparently has become the new registrar for .vg domains. I got an email from support@ksregistry.com on 5/22/2014 stating that KSRegistry has been delegated the responsibility for service functions for the .VG zone and that as the domain holder of my domain, that I would need to transfer my domain to one of the "accredited" .VG registrars.

Registrars | nic.VG

I was given a transfer code for my domain and informed that I had 7 days to complete the transfer. I browsed the list and only found one of the "accredited" registrars that appeared to have their site configured to allow registration of .vg domains. This registrar was 101domain.com.

I requested the transfer through 101domain.com on May 22 before 1pm EST and entered my payment information to cover the $44 fee. I got a confirmation stating that my order has been created and is being processed and that the time to register is approximately 24-48 hours.

On 5/23/2014, I logged in and saw that the status of my domain was "transfer in ready" but was confused by the fact that there was a heading on the account manager that stated "pre-registration" above my domain, so I put in a support ticket asking what that was about. The response from the support ticket was that .VG was not in "pre-registration". I figured out that the "pre-registration" thing was a folder that would contain any domains in that status, which mine was not.

I followed up on 5/27/2014 stating that my domain was still in a status of "transfer in ready". They responded by generating an invoice for $44 and asking me to "pay" it, which I did the same day.

On 6/4/2014, I submitted another support ticket asking when I could expect the domain to be usable as it had been two weeks since I requested the transfer.

On 6/5/2014, I got a response that my domain was now in "RedemptionPeriod" and was not able to be transferred.

Since then, I've gone back and forth between them and KSRegistry and ultimately was asked to provide a copy of my ID and the invoice for the domain to prove ownership. After doing so, 101domain was apparently able to have my domain record updated to reflect them as the registrar but now they're basically trying to ransom the domain back to me for an additional $100-150 (the amount has changed several times).

Cliff's notes:
* I was given 7 days to transfer my domain to an accredited registrar.
* I requested the transfer to 101domain.com the same day and was informed that it would take 24-48 hours.
* Before the 7 days was up, I put in two support tickets with 101domain.com inquiring when the transfer would be complete.
* After 14 days had elapsed, 101domain.com informed me that my domain could not be registered as the original 7 days had elapsed.
* After some runaround 101domain requested a copy of my ID and invoice for the domain after consulting with KSRegistry about transferring control of the "deleted" domain.
* Now 101domain is trying to extort $150 from me on top of the original $44 because the domain was in "Redemption" as a direct result of their inability to perform the transfer service as originally requested.

I'm thinking about sending a registered letter demanding they relinquish control of the domain to me and cease & desist any redemption actions against the domain.

Technically, when a domain enters the Redemption Period, registrars hold onto them for some period (30-45 days) during which they charge the domain "owner" a fee to restore it, then will attempt to auction the domain off, and finally relinquish it completely so that it's available to be registered.

Bottom line: They're either completely incompetent or are scammers. Jury is still out on which.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yeah... this is going nowhere. These people are completely worthless and I'm convinced that they're scammers.

July 8, 2014

To whom it may concern,

I am the registered owner of a very valuable and desirable, short, three letter domain name.

On May 22, 2014, I received an email from support@ksregistry.com with a domain transfer code for my domain and a link to a list of accredited .vg registrars. On this list of "accredited" registrars was 101domain.com. The email also stated that I had 7 days to act on the transfer. I immediately visited the website for 101domain.com and proceeded to place an order to register my domain. I entered my credit card information and received a confirmation email stating that my order was created and was being processed. This email, dated May 22, 2014 informed me that the time to register my domain was approximately 24 to 48 hours.

After 24 hours, I logged into the site and saw my domain listed as "transfer in ready". I submitted a support ticket asking if I needed to do something to get the domain transferred. The response, late that night asked for more information. I responded on the next business day, May 27, 2014, stating that I was trying to transfer my domain per the email I had received and that the status was "transfer in ready".

In response, I received and email that an invoice had been created and a response to the help ticket stating that I needed to pay the invoice. The invoice stated that "if paid past the due date (which was "n/a") that I may be subject to a restoration fee of $150. Again, I responded promptly and paid the invoice the same day.

On June 4, 2014, I submitted yet another ticket inquiring about when I could expect my domain to be usable as it had been two weeks since my original order and it still wasn't working. The response the following day was that the domain was not active and the transfer was not possible. I voiced my displeasure with the service and after several messages and phone calls I was instructed to submit some documentation of my identity and prior ownership of the domain, which I did, again, very promptly.

On June 17, 2014 I received several emails stating that invoices had been created for $99 and $150 respectfully for "redemption fees". I checked the WHOIS database for the registry and saw that my domain had been transferred under the control of 101domain.com. As I had not been informed about any additional fees being assessed I called support and voiced my objection to being charged a redemption fee as a result of 101domain.com failing to process my order in a timely manner.

Since then I've been getting a runaround from 101domain and their support staff who have made all manner of excuses to blame me for the domain not being registered prior to expiration. I've been told that domain transfers take 2-4 weeks and "2 days" was not enough, despite the fact that (1) I placed the order 7 days before the transfer expired, (2) it was impossible to place the order 2-4 weeks ahead of expiration as the registry only allowed 7 days, and (3) as an "accredited registrar", they should have known exactly what the time restrictions were and should have been able to process the order in a timely fashion. Furthermore, 101domain never informed me of a redemption fee, nor got my consent to transfer control of the domain to themselves contingent on me paying a redemption fee.

I could write this whole experience off as complete incompetence on the part of 101domain if not for the fact that after allowing my domain to expire, they went out of their way to transfer control of the domain to themselves prior to beginning the efforts to extort money from me to correct the very problem that they created. With the domain now under the control of 101domain, they will be able to seize control of the domain and auction it off for a profit if I refuse to pay the ransom they're demanding.

It's apparent that 101domain is scamming me in an attempt to rip me off through extortion after hijacking my domain. I've now exhausted my efforts to get 101domain to accept responsibility and waive the fees. I will now be sending this letter to ICANN, the California and Nevada Better Business Bureaus, KS Registry, Authorize.net, US-EU SafeHarbor, INTA, Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce, Domaining.com, RipOffReport.com, Consumerist.com, and other websites as I see fit. I've contacted my credit card company to dispute the charges from 101domain and I'll be sending a registered letter to 101domain.com's corporate offices demanding that they CEASE AND DESIST any efforts to auction or release my domain for registration by other entities pending the outcome of the lawsuit that I will be filing this week.

I urge all parties to reconsider their relationship with 101domain and I urge KSRegistry to remove 101domain as an "accredited" registrar as they're clearly either incompetent or scammers.
Rip Off Report

Just got a call back from the San Diego BBB. Apparently 101domain isn't a member (big surprise). Not that I expect much from them anyway, buy my complaint is logged with them as well.

Sent a couple registered letters this afternoon to their legal department and to the CEO of the company. Will see how much traction I get there. Don't expect much. Thinking I'll probably just file a small claims lawsuit locally and see if that gets anywhere.

Ralph

VIP
Looks like I'll be finding out if this is complete BS or not:

Suing Big Companies In Small Claims Court Is Fun And Easy Consumerist

Not 100% sure if I can sue them locally or not, and while I don't think they can disclaim liability through their TOS, I don't think it's legit for them to cause a problem then charge me to fix it.
The whole "no attorney" thing is not true everywhere. Wisconsin, in particular. Part of my job was subrogation, and I used to send attorneys to small claims all the time.

Good luck getting local jurisdiction though. That might be a tough hurdle.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Besides jurisdiction you are going to have a tough time convincing a judge why the domain name was so valuable... Have you decided how much you think it is worth?

The small claims court maximum varies but I think $5,000 is the most common.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Besides jurisdiction you are going to have a tough time convincing a judge why the domain name was so valuable... Have you decided how much you think it is worth?

The small claims court maximum varies but I think $5,000 is the most common.
Max in Virginia is $5000. I would look for the sum total I've spent maintaining the domain, what I've paid 101domain, plus what 101domain has invoiced me. Figure about $500 or so. Next I'd add in my time dealing with them. Call it 10 hours at $125/hr (my billing rate for consulting work). Add in filing fees ($50 I think), and a whatever the highest price I can find on a site valuation tool (I've seen upwards of $500) and I'm over $2k.

The overall goal here isn't to get the money. I don't want the money. I want them to register my domain and stop trying to extort me for fees resulting from their negligence. If it makes it in front of a judge, I'm going to be honest in how I came up with the figure and the fact that I'm more interested in having them perform the service I paid them for than getting a cash settlement out of them.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well in my extensive experience watching Judge Judy and other daytime judges you won't get credit for your time spent working on the case- unless you can prove you really gave up paid work to take the time to deal with this.

But, good to keep it in, it will give the Judge something to cut to make them feel like they made a difference.

The thing is small claims court can only award you money- they can't force them to give you the domain... they have no way to enforce such a judgement. Best they can do is award you the monetary value you have proven it was worth. Even that will be difficult to collect from a company without a presence in your state.

Again, in my experience with Judge Judy a single estimate will be ignored- You need 3+ estimates and they will usually go with the middle of the three.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The theory is that it's more expensive for them to show up for court, win or lose, than to make it right, settling out of court. I'd rather pay $50 (or even $250) to the courts to convince them it's in their best interest to do the right thing than pay their $99-150 extortion fee.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The theory is that it's more expensive for them to show up for court, win or lose, than to make it right, settling out of court. I'd rather pay $50 to the courts to convince them it's in their best interest to do the right thing than pay their $99-150 extortion fee.
While that is true I would ne surprised if anyone shows up at all. Do you know if 101domains is a US based company?

Edit- According to their Contact Us page their "main office" is Carlsbad, CA.

If you would like to submit a complaint in writing, please mail us at:

101domain, Inc.
Attn: Legal & Compliance Dept.
5858 Edison Place
Carlsbad, CA 92008

If you are unhappy with the initial resolution of your complaint, you may call us at one of the numbers above and ask to speak to a manager or email us at .
Can't think of the last time a company put up such info more or less inviting complaints- I guess it must be a common thing for customers to want to complain to their legal department.

Ralph

VIP
I would ne surprised if anyone shows up at all.
This. Considering they're out of Cali, it's going to be difficult for a court in Virginia to 1) force them to show, and 2) to help you enforce any judgment against them.

Most likely response, I suspect, is that the judge or court commissioner hearing the case will just throw it out at your initial appearance for lack of jurisdiction. That's if they even accept your suit in the first place.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This. Considering they're out of Cali, it's going to be difficult for a court in Virginia to 1) force them to show, and 2) to help you enforce any judgment against them.

Most likely response, I suspect, is that the judge or court commissioner hearing the case will just throw it out at your initial appearance for lack of jurisdiction. That's if they even accept your suit in the first place.
Probably. Worth a shot though.

Some courts also allow filing by mail, though I'm not sure if that is the case in CA. These people have pissed me off enough with their bullshit that I'd consider travelling to CA just to fight them. Bunch of incompetent assholes.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Response from their legal department this afternoon. Also CC'd to the BBB, so I'm assuming this is based on the BBB complaint rather than the Certified Mail letter I sent yesterday that I'm sure hasn't arrived yet.

My comments in blue. Will reply later when I get home from work.

Thank you for contacting 101domain. We’d like to apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing.

In reviewing your account, this is what occurred:

On Thursday May 22, 2014 you’ve submitted an order to transfer in WCT.VG.
After less than 3 hours, we updated your ticket, as you were asking about pre-registration, while .VG is not in pre-registration phase:
I asked why it showed up under the folder "pre-registration", but I also stated that I was trying to transfer the domain and wanted to know if there was something else I needed to do. They did not bother to answer the second part of the ticket regarding the transfer.

Unfortunately, you waited for 4 days to reply back to confirm it’s not pre-registration, but trying to transfer-in .VG domain name.

We replied back after 7 hours, by generating an invoice for the transfer operation.

You’ve paid for the invoice around 9PM on May 27th, 2014, and this has left a day and few hours before the expiration date deadline or May 29th, 2014. Unfortunately, it was not possible to complete transfer operation during one day, thus, domain name expired.

I shouldn't have had to enter a ticket or respond for them to process the order. The original order contained everything needed to process the request. The transfer code, the credit card info, everything. To blame me for waiting until the next business day is a poor attempt to skirt responsibility for the issue.

Although the domain name expired at your current registrar, before transferring to our management, we went out of our way, and contacted the registry in order to help you out, and in order not to lose your domain name. We asked the registry if it’s possible to process domain restoration for your domain name although we were not the registrar of record.
The registry asked for few verification documents and to pay for redemption charges. You provided those documents to us, however you refused to pay the redemption fees.

101domain never informed me of a redemption fee and never had my consent to do this at an additional fee. It was only after the transfer had occurred that the fee was communicated to me.

We tried our best here to help you out not to lose your domain name. We contacted the registry searching for alternatives to help you out. Furthermore, we provided a discount on the redemption fees, as we understood that you were unable to transfer your domain name during the short 7 day period given to by your old registrar, although it was not our problem to address.

101domain is an "accredited" registrar and as an "accredited" registrar, they should have been prepared to deal with this as this would have been the case for any .vg domain transfer.

Being our client means a lot to us, and this is why we’d do every possible way to help you out.

With this being said, we’d like to offer the following solutions:

1. We’ll be happy to provide you with another discount on the already-discounted redemption fees, and bring it from 99 USD down to 75 USD.
Unacceptable.

2. We’ll be happy to waive the redemption fees if you decided to renew your domain name for further 3 years.
I'll likely accept this resolution. Seems fair, unless tehy jack up the costs on the extra 2 years to cover the redemption fees.

3. We can cancel your order and issue a full refund for you.
Unacceptable.

Please let us know how you’d like to proceed regarding this issue.

Kind regards,
Legal & Compliance

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This is what I was confused about.... except when I put in the ticket it was "transfer in ready" rather than "pending approval":

This is the first support ticket I put in. Note how I asked if I needed to do something to get the domain transferred:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My response.

101domain,
Thank you for your response. I'm still frustrated by your refusal to accept full responsibility for this problem. You're basically blaming me for your inaction because I put in a support ticket asking "What's the deal with this showing as a "pre-registration"? Do I have to do something to get the domain transferred?", as I was confused about why my domain appeared under the heading "Pre-reservations" when I logged into your site. Note that my first contact after placing the order clearly asked if I needed to "do something to get the domain transferred". Your claim that you the delay was my fault is completely without merit. I used your site to request the transfer & registration on the 22nd and I entered my credit card information during the "checkout" process. There is no reason you couldn't have proceeded with the order as originally requested. I shouldn't have had to put in a support ticket in order for you to send me an invoice to pay since the checkout process should have been sufficient. I've never encountered another registrar that requires a checkout process for the order, then a followup invoice that needs to be "paid" to accomplish the same thing that the checkout should have accomplished.

As a business owner myself, I know that it is good business to accept responsibility for things that go wrong as a result of the actions of my company, even if that means taking a loss on a transaction to "make it right". This is especially true when the loss is a minor amount, under a few hundred dollars. The principle of accepting responsibility and making it right is very important to me and I expect the same from other that I deal with. This is why I strongly object to the poor and unprofessional service and refusal by 101domain to accept responsibility for this problem.

In regards to the solutions you're offering, I find the first and third options to be completely unacceptable. That said, can you clarify specifically what you're offering in the second option?

Are you offering to waive the redemption fees if I register the domain for a total of 3 years or for 3 years in addition to the 1 year I've already paid? Do you intend to charge me the same per-year rate for registration as I paid for the first year or are you intending on increasing the registration fees to effectively include the cost of the redemption fee?

Depending on your answers to the above questions, I may elect to resolve this dispute by accepting the offer, though I still do not find the resolution to be acceptable and will not rescind my complaint and criticism for the way you've handled this problem and refused to accept responsibility for your negligence and/or incompetence.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
IIRC, they agreed to waive whatever exorbitant fee they were demanding if I renewed for 5 years (which was essentially the same amount of money). I did, but am wary of using the .VG TLD because of the lack of dependability and potentially losing access again due to the registrar being stupid.