• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Upper control arm bolts

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Unclear WTF happened, but the TJ is missing both upper control arm bolts at the diff. Don't think I'm going to drive it home from the gym......

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Heard a clunk on the way, which I assume was the right rear coming out and bouncing through the coil spring. Subsequently when under load/torque I would get vibration and noise.

This is a Ford 8.8. I last worked on it in August 2012, having removed it for mods, maintenance, and a new track bar. Didn't notice one missing or loose when the gas tank was out a couple months back.

Looking back at pics, the left one was clearly gone on Sept 30 when the tank was out. Right was still intact at the time.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I thought I had broken a control arm or had the trackbar come loose.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
How far is the drive? If it's just a couple of miles I'd do it. Just be easy on the brake/accelerator.

If it's much more, Just stick any bolt in there for now. Or hell, some bailing wire. You aren't wheeling it to get home; those arms just keep the axle located.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Probably about 15 mins, with some hills in between. The hills are the killer as the DS gets in a bind. Didn't think I was going to make it up 5th St. Friend gave me a lift home. Will grab the correct bolts tomorrow and fix it in the parking lot in the daylight. Shouldn't need much more than the jack, a couple stands, wrenches and a prybar.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
:beerchug:

I'd grab a ratchet strap or two, also, in case you need more help than a pry bar to rotate the axle in to place.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Drivers side missing on 9/30. Pass side was still there. Assuming the pass side fell out tonight.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Mine was triangulated and I lost the one bolt once. I stuck a screwdriver through the hole and held it in place with zipties for the drive home.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Towed it to the car lot my brother works at. Their mechanic put the bolts in for me since it was raining outside. Tow was $45. Bolts were $3. Dealership didn't charge me. I tipped the mechanic $20.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Towed because it was raining? That doesn't sound nearly EXTREME enough.
I'm fat, lazy, and old. Fortunately I can afford the minor expense of paying someone in lieu of laying on my back in the cold rain in the YMCA parking lot.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
I'm fat, lazy, and old. Fortunately I can afford the minor expense of paying someone in lieu of laying on my back in the cold rain in the YMCA parking lot.
real men lay on their back in the cold rain in the YMCA parking lot. :D I still can't bring myself to pay people for things that I can/will do myself, even if I have the money.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
real men lay on their back in the cold rain in the YMCA parking lot. :D I still can't bring myself to pay people for things that I can/will do myself, even if I have the money.
Honestly its more of a time issue than anything. Too much going on with the land purchase, permits, Christmas, etc.