• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Revision 19, plus a first pass at the second floor.

Changed the master bath water closet and small closet area when I realized that I couldn't incorporate that "closet" area into the master bed due to the width being too wide to support floor joists above unless there is a beam, and I just don't think that would look good.

Corrected a math error on the steps, which makes them a lot more friendly to the plan.

Second floor was originally intended to have a single bath at top of steps, but that would put the bath right over the main kitchen island and I'm not keen on having to pipe the toilet waste 6' horizontal. Drew it with two ensuite baths where drains would be against outside walls. Not exactly sure how much that'll impact the cost. I'm thinking $5-8k, but maybe less. Dormers are drawn at 3', but I think they need to be 4' to accommodate a 30" window.

Could make the left upstairs bedroom into two rooms with a shared bath, but we don't currently need 3BR so I'm leaning towards just having more space. Could also be a second floor master and is in fact larger than the master bedroom, though not when you consider the full suite.

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You're gonna have the top of the stairs end with just a roughly 3x3 landing and a door on each side? Gonna be dark as shit.

I'd shrink that left bedroom some and have some open space or something else up there.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
If you do an island sink, vent it per IPC with a true vent and not a half assed studor vent.
The new studor vents are actually key. They are nothing like the old ones. We've had to use them in certain venting applications and got extremely strict jurisdictions to approve them with a sample sent including cutsheets.

Ardvark

Could make the left upstairs bedroom into two rooms with a shared bath, but we don't currently need 3BR so I'm leaning towards just having more space. Could also be a second floor master and is in fact larger than the master bedroom, though not when you consider the full suite.
Not sure how you are wasting so much space. But you should have more stuff in 900 sqft

My addition is 1168 and has 3 bedrooms large bathroom, dining room and pantry

Ardvark

In fact I think my main living floor is smaller than your house and I have 6 bedrooms a larger living room, 3 baths, larger kitchen, dining room, pantry then you are showing

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
In fact I think my main living floor is smaller than your house and I have 6 bedrooms a larger living room, 3 baths, larger kitchen, dining room, pantry then you are showing
Based on that description, I'd assume your rooms are dramatically smaller and not even remotely open between them.

Revision 20: Dormer on garage was not centered. Now using as toilet area. Actually need to open it up a bit wider to match the ones on the main roof as I've drawn in revision 2 of the second floor.

Revision 2 Upstairs: Didn't make sense to have such large bedrooms. Really did seem wasted. Split it into three rooms with two full baths, one that is shared between two rooms. Much better use of space. The issue I see is that the rear bedroom doesn't have a window. Might actually work better for an office, but probably wouldn't make sense to have the large shared bath with independent sinks per room. Need to think on that some. Might actually make sense to add a couple rear dormers, but that again adds cost.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'd be willing to bet that back bedroom needs a window per code. Need to check that too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
exactly, must have egress
Technically it does have a second egress through the bath. Figure the bath will have a couple side windows as well. Would have to rearrange a bit to fit a second dormer on the other side of the back, but that may be the thing to do. Could also have a small shed dormer on that side alone I suppose.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
technically doesn't mean dick when it comes to someone approving plans per code though.

The AHJ has the final say, no matter what.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Thinking the left bath can be shrunk substantially towards the front, lose the second toilet & sink, and expand the rear bedroom to the side so it has windows on the side of the house. Can still share the bath, but would cut the cost down and solve the window problem without a rear dormer. I'd like to keep the rear roof intact for possible future solar uses.

edit: I could be wrong, but I really don't think a room has to have an emergency egress unless it's a bedroom. If I call it an office or play room, it's good to go.

Ardvark

It has to have a huge ass window also I want to say 3ft by 5ft. You're better off calling it an office on the plans. I had to replace 3 windows because I thought the Sq inches was for the whole window but it is just for the bottom half

Also your first floor bedroom make sure the windows in th rest of the house look ok next to the big bedroom one

Ardvark

My bedrooms are all decent sizes except one which was supposed to be an office. But we adopted kid 6 so it became a bedroom It is 11 by 11.