• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Workstation Replacement

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'm considering a used Lenovo D30. It's a platform maybe 3 or so years old, but I think the processing power and memory capacity will serve me well. I have certs to prep for at work, and I'm not a domain admin which limits my ability to do the shit I need without getting screwed. The typical entry workstation won't allow the VM quantity I need.

Of course, I might find myself stuck running an Enterprise Server for my desktop! :D

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Looks like we're going to go with Dell Optiplex 7040 machines rather than the Precision 3620 I was pushing for.

Specs are i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB PCI-E SSD, 2TB 5400RPM secondary drive, GeForce GTX 745.

The Precision quote was over $400 higher for the same specs, but with an AMD FirePro card. This puts us under budget by ~$150 per machine, so hopefully we can roll that into the next replacement cycle and up our budget to get the Precision machines in 2020.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Bet the Precision would be faster. They should have gotten evaluation machines if possible to test them.

There are case studies out there showing Workstation class machines perform better in demanding task environments. Mind you, the ones I look at are focussed on CADD work versus other things.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Bet the Precision would be faster. They should have gotten evaluation machines if possible to test them.

There are case studies out there showing Workstation class machines perform better in demanding task environments. Mind you, the ones I look at are focussed on CADD work versus other things.
No point in getting evaluation machines since the Precision machines were almost $300 (each) over budget and the Optiplex were about $150 (each) under budget. Couldn't get the (2012 model) Precision machines within the budget unless they had the same specs as the Precision machines we're replacing.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
The point of evaluations is to document improved performance which equates to getting things done faster which equates to money saved. The more expensive to purchase machines could be a money saver.

Maybe not, it depends on your organization. But there is more to consider than the upfront costs.

We had to do some leg work to get back in to workstation class machines a few years ago, especially when machines on contract appeared to have the same specs as the workstations.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The point of evaluations is to document improved performance which equates to getting things done faster which equates to money saved. The more expensive to purchase machines could be a money saver.

Maybe not, it depends on your organization. But there is more to consider than the upfront costs.

We had to do some leg work to get back in to workstation class machines a few years ago, especially when machines on contract appeared to have the same specs as the workstations.
Sounds good, but our budget is already $1k (per machine) over the standard PC replacement cost in reflection of our need for workstations. That's hard enough to justify without going back for another $3-400.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It certainly wasn't easy for us, especially when we were under the engineering side of the house rather than the IT side. We'd waste the difference in price justifying something that would save us money over all. Now that we've merged into the IT side, it's much easier to convince people up the chain that something is a good idea.

Our experience illustrates pitfalls of having people who know nothing about a subject make decisions regarding that subject.