• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Best years for XJ, ones to avoid?

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
It's crazy what local dealerships ask for Commanders.

SIL's is white. I think with the 4.7. Pulls their boat fine, but they only store it a mile or so away from the marina.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Yeah they're f'ing huge inside, are quiet and seem to have fairly good longevity. All the ones around here have insane miles on them. Seem to have held their value well too.
The one time I looked over a commander when at a dealer I thought the back seat was stupid small for a vehicle that big. Back seats were mounted really high, so either my head hit the roof or I would've had to slouch and jam my knees into the back of the front seats.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
The one time I looked over a commander when at a dealer I thought the back seat was stupid small for a vehicle that big. Back seats were mounted really high, so either my head hit the roof or I would've had to slouch and jam my knees into the back of the front seats.

The stadium seating gimmick.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Yeah they're f'ing huge inside, are quiet and seem to have fairly good longevity. All the ones around here have insane miles on them. Seem to have held their value well too.
:wtf: We had one for nearly nine years, and I'm not sure I'd agree with any of those points.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
It's small, loud and has lousy resale?
Yes.

Interior space is downright humorous, especially the cargo area. I could imagine it seeming large compared to your XJ or Focus, but for the size and price class it was sold in the volume is pathetic. Wind noise due to being shaped like a brick, very little sound insulation so tire noise sucks, all three available engines roar like crazy for no real reason. Everything has decent resale these days, the XK isn't any better than any other average shitbox on the road. Longevity - it sort of has that, but in that Chrysler way. Meaning stupid shit like door handles being broken after a year or two, sunroof ****ing up, radio spazzing out, oil leaks, etc. It only "broke down" three times, all of which were electrical issues, but it had a lot of dumb shit go wrong at a fairly well-metered pace. I wouldn't call it a piece of shit, but I wouldn't brag about it, either.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
That makes sense to me, I did some more looking and this model can't be towed w/o dolly and driveshaft pulled because of no neutral in T/C.
No body work has been done anywhere (My 1st trade, I can always spot it), yet the grille, w/s, headlights are way too nice to have spent a lot of time in the wind, plus that interior....nobody is that clean.
Our Commander had a neutral setting on the transfer Case....:puzzled:

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Our Commander had a neutral setting on the transfer Case....:puzzled:
The base transfer case had no neutral or lo range, just full time awd. Not supposed to tow that one.

I'm really not actively seeking a Jeep or a Commander....so naturally I've found another to waste my time looking at. At least this one has "normal" high miles, people put a ton of miles on these thing, over 200k is pretty common

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The base transfer case had no neutral or lo range, just full time awd. Not supposed to tow that one.

I'm really not actively seeking a Jeep or a Commander....so naturally I've found another to waste my time looking at. At least this one has "normal" high miles, people put a ton of miles on these thing, over 200k is pretty common
They're all 6-10 years old, and they were pretty much all bought to take kids to various types of sporting practice every day of the week. You can't really expect most of them to have low mileage. It's a Grand Cherokee that cost $500-$1000 more trim-for-trim for no reason at all. It has less interior space and worse fuel economy, worse bump angles, and at this point far less competition in the used market so worse pricing from a buyer's standpoint. Unless you're just in love with the XJ with Down's Syndrome look of the front you should cross-shop GCs. Given your track record for poor decisions I'll assume I just wasted time typing this out :clapping:

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
They're all 6-10 years old, and they were pretty much all bought to take kids to various types of sporting practice every day of the week. You can't really expect most of them to have low mileage. It's a Grand Cherokee that cost $500-$1000 more trim-for-trim for no reason at all. It has less interior space and worse fuel economy, worse bump angles, and at this point far less competition in the used market so worse pricing from a buyer's standpoint. Unless you're just in love with the XJ with Down's Syndrome look of the front you should cross-shop GCs. Given your track record for poor decisions I'll assume I just wasted time typing this out :clapping:
Nice. Clean XJ's aren't really out there around here right now, but I've still got an eye open. As far as the Grand vs Commander, so far dollar for dollar and mile for mile, the Commanders are cleaner and less tortured than the Grands I've found for what is basically the same vehicle. I have no problem with the style, sorry it's not your cup of tea. I'm not going to drive some clapped out vehicle nor am I going to HMAM a second vehicle; just need something that will carry a little gear, allow me to strap a couple kayaks on top and let me get down on the river or lake without getting stuck or high-centered......my family sedan isn't it. So the Jeep line kinda fits what I'm looking for. Simple, huh?

DH350nWo

Meh
VIP
Second gen Durango? That's what I ended up with when I was hunting down Grands. Mine has the nv144 AWD transfer case that performs decently.