• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Scientists speculate- We are more likely living in a simulation than reality...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Is this life real or a simulation? Matthew R Francis Aeon

Very interesting article- not sure there is any real merit... but interesting read none the less...

One of the most disturbing possibilities though is this-

Beyond these philosophical implications, the simulation hypothesis could help answer some scientific problems. Since Earth-like planets are not terribly rare, it’s possible enough civilisations have arisen in the Universe that they would be able to communicate or travel between stars. Yet we have not seen any so far, leaving us to wonder: where are the aliens? However, if we live in a simulation, aliens might simply not be part of the program. In fact, it could be the case that one planetary civilisation is all that can be simulated, without running into computational capacity issues.
Although it doesn't make much sense.. if they can create a computer powerful enough to simulate one giant civilization then surely in the time the simulation has been running they could create hardware orders of magnitude more powerful- just as we do today within 5 or 10 years.

John

Transplant
VIP
IMO it's possible. I often ponder things like this and it's one of many possibilities.

I suppose "I think, therefore I am" doesn't preclude being a self aware bit of alien code. I find the idea absurd, but I could just be programmed to think that.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Beyond these philosophical implications, the simulation hypothesis could help answer some scientific problems. Since Earth-like planets are not terribly rare, it’s possible enough civilisations have arisen in the Universe that they would be able to communicate or travel between stars. Yet we have not seen any so far, leaving us to wonder: where are the aliens? However, if we live in a simulation, aliens might simply not be part of the program. In fact, it could be the case that one planetary civilisation is all that can be simulated, without running into computational capacity issues.

Using a lack of evidence as the proof for the existence something else isn't very intelligent.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm talking about a pilot and two other flight crew members flying a 747 reporting a ship twice the size of an aircraft carrier moving all around them while flying over Alaska, and things like that.

hjeepxj

I'm talking about a pilot and two other flight crew members flying a 747 reporting a ship twice the size of an aircraft carrier moving all around them while flying over Alaska, and things like that.
Link?

I wouldn't rule out anything. Assuming the universe is infinite, what would be the odds that there WOULDN'T be another planet that is far enough along that they could travel the universe?

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
According to this idea, the computer programmers would be indistinguishable from God.

I'll take Occam's Razor, please.