• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Strange bangs in the night...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So this summer I've been living in my house 10 years (minus 1 in the hospital) and summer fireworks are fairly common... but last night at approx 12:28 AM I heard a number of loud, unusual, bangs. Not quite fireworks, not quite gun shots.

I was a big confused myself and just then I got an email notification. On a hunch I checked the email and sure enough it was someone else a few blocks from me posting if anyone heard that? So I wrote back that indeed I did and we both agreed it was a most unusual sound.

By 8AM this morning 3 more people from the neighborhood posted they heard the sound and couldn't figure out what it was.

I seee I first turned on my phone to check the time at 12:29AM, so I looked at my security footage.

Note the shadows on the tree and van at 12:28 and 30 seconds in the video and continue for about 13 seconds.

:oac:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Vehicle headlights somewhere out of view + camera autofocus changing.

I find it really odd that it's so bright there at night. How does anyone sleep when it's bright as daylight outside after midnight?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's not vehicle headlights. I watched over an hour of footage, lots of vehicles, at no time are the shadows cast even remotely like that. Plus if you have any idea of what you're looking at it is clear the light source being interrupted is above and behind the camera.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The original, unedited, 10 minute clip from my camera will be available soon, it's still processing by youtube.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It's not vehicle headlights. I watched over an hour of footage, lots of vehicles, at no time are the shadows cast even remotely like that. Plus if you have any idea of what you're looking at it is clear the light source being interrupted is above and behind the camera.
Or the camera adjusting to a new light source making it appear to be more of a shadow that it really is. Most likely not a vehicle passing, but either pulling in/out of a nearby driveway or garage.

Could also be a cloud if the light source is the moon.

neevo

Limey Hippo
More prisoners escaping from that high security prison. Clearly power tools werent noisy enough last time :shrug:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So if you're claim is that the shadow is related to the noise you heard last night, what is the source of the light, and how far is that light source from the tree and the van? If it's the porch light, it could be nothing more than a moth. If it's the moon, it could be a cloud. Street light? Bat or bird.

Are you saying it's the moon and that's a UFO? If that were the case, it's way too small of a shadow to be something large in moonlight.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I don't know what it is... but I know it isn't car lights or the camera re-focusing.
You don't know where the light source in question is coming from to make it like daylight in your front yard at midnight?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You don't know where the light source in question is coming from to make it like daylight in your front yard at midnight?
There's a streetlight right in front of the house, and 2 across the street, I'm not concerned about the overall brightness, that is normal + IR sensitive camera. I'm concerned only about the shadows over the 12 second period from 12:28:30 to 12:28:42.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm thinking it was a bird or other flying animal reacting to the sounds that flew close to the porch light, though we never notice birds on the porch over night.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'd be willing to bet that if you look at video tonight with no sounds, you can find shadows like that moving around as a result of something getting in front of your porch light. Probably had nothing to do with the sound unless a bird was flying into the window.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I can hear the boats unloading at the stone dock two blocks away. They'll run all night. Also heard something like a hold door slamming shut.