• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Over range microwaves

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If the OTR microwave is going to function as a range hood, you'll have to duck to see into pots under it. Period. End of discussion. If you put it higher, it's not reachable for normal use. If it's set back somehow, then it's not going to function as a hood.

Reactions: SAD

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Mine functions as a hood, no ducking required, and I can reach inside of it. Hell, so can Diane and she's 4' 11"

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I never had to duck with mine either (when I could stand), I don't know what people are complaining about. It was designed that way from the start.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
If the OTR microwave is going to function as a range hood, you'll have to duck to see into pots under it. Period. End of discussion. If you put it higher, it's not reachable for normal use. If it's set back somehow, then it's not going to function as a hood.
You are wrong. I have an OTR in the house and I'm ****ing tall. Never have to duck to see pots under it.

Now, the one at the mountain cabin, yes, ducking is needed and I'd have the same hatred for them if they were all like that.

Mine was convenient height. No ducking to see pots, and easy to reach in and use. My new house doesn't have an OTR microwave so I'm not defending it because I have one, I just found it a convenient location with no drawbacks.