• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Motorcycle stopping

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It's made to be inexpensive so it markets well in less affluent areas. Drums, particularly mechanical ones, are simpler and more easily repaired by a guy under a tree. :shrug:

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
It's made to be inexpensive so it markets well in less affluent areas. Drums, particularly mechanical ones, are simpler and more easily repaired by a guy under a tree. :shrug:
this is true but Drums on their own bring the suck. my pan when I first built it had just a mech rear drum, didnt take long to add duel disc up front.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
this is true but Drums on their own bring the suck. my pan when I first built it had just a mech rear drum, didnt take long to add duel disc up front.
Drums alone do suck. This is why pretty much anybody who hops up an older car converts them to discs as well. It is why I've idly contemplated putting discs on the rear of my XJunk, though not that seriously. :D

John

Transplant
VIP
Drums alone do suck. This is why pretty much anybody who hops up an older car converts them to discs as well. It is why I've idly contemplated putting discs on the rear of my XJunk, though not that seriously. :D
The only vehicle that I've owned with rear drums that had good brakes was my '08 Silverado. You would have never guessed that it had rear drums.

I don't know much about motorcycles, but I've never seen on with drum brakes. Even my MTB has hydraulic disk brakes. jjj

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
many modern cruiser style bikes have rear drums. Harley aint one of them.

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
75% of stopping on a bike is generated by the front brakes, rear drums aren't that big of a deal usually.

John

Transplant
VIP
many modern cruiser style bikes have rear drums. Harley aint one of them.
I don't like those kind of bikes so that explains it. I would like a BMW touring bike though.

75% of stopping on a bike is generated by the front brakes, rear drums aren't that big of a deal usually.
Yeah, I figured that out years ago when downhill MTBing. :hah:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
This is also why I've seen cars need new front brakes at 30-50k miles while the rears last to almost 100k.

OTOH, when my fronts are worn out on my WRX, the rears are about there also.

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
This is also why I've seen cars need new front brakes at 30-50k miles while the rears last to almost 100k.

the awd and perhaps traction control play a part in that?

John

Transplant
VIP

Cars used to be like that, but modern TC, stability control, and ABLS systems limit that. Especially, on trucks, SUVs, and performance vehicles. On my Xterra (~45k miles), my rear brakes are more worn than my fronts. A lot of that is attributed to my driving style. :hah:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
the awd and perhaps traction control play a part in that?
My car's "traction control" is a good old fashioned limited slip in the back. AWD only has an effect on propulsion unless you consider compression braking which doesn't use the real brakes. With the differential action in the middle, any effect by the AWD on my brake life would be eliminated unlike perhaps in the XJunk which has no center diff.