• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Heat Pump Capacitor Died Late July 3rd

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
:owned: What a miserable night without AC. :naw: Thankfully my buddy came back to town and bought in to an HVAC company and answered my text at 11:00pm. Buddy had a tech calling me at 8:15am July 4th because he missed the 12:00am call from my buddy. Capacitor replaced before 9:00am. The tech showed me how to diagnose the capacitor.

Open up your heat pump compressor panels and see if your capacitors are bubbled up on the top. Clear sign they're getting weak.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If it happens again, just know that you can manually start the compressor by sticking something into it to spin the fan blade..... would get it cooling until it cycles off again.

BOP, caps are usually mounted under the corner cover that has the wiring going into it.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
If it happens again, just know that you can manually start the compressor by sticking something into it to spin the fan blade..... would get it cooling until it cycles off again.

BOP, caps are usually mounted under the corner cover that has the wiring going into it.
The fan still spun. The actual compressor wouldn't work until the capacitor was replaced. No cooling. The fan doesn't do shit.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Ahh. When mine went, the compressor would run but the fan wouldn't start.

Ardvark

I forget all the lingo. But I had to take a screwdriver out and push something or jump something to get mine running when capacitor went.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The fan still spun. The actual compressor wouldn't work until the capacitor was replaced. No cooling. The fan doesn't do shit.
Ahh. When mine went, the compressor would run but the fan wouldn't start.
There's a capacitor for the fan motor and one for the compressor. Sometimes they're the same piece (with terminals and guts for both) instead of two separate capacitors.

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
Should rename it to....

Wimterheatpumper / summerheatsucker
it's still pumping heat, just one way is to the outside, and the other is to the inside ;)

the cheap shit chinese capacitors aren't worth a damn, but that's about all you can get anymore

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
That happened to me a couple years ago on one of the hottest days of the year. We were pet sitting too. Saturday, after hours, no other store in town carried the capacitor. 109 degrees inside by the time the guy showed up. $360 for a $5 part. :owned:

I now have a $3 spare.