• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Pinterest Share Demo Thread

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This is a demo thread for a new vBulletin mod I made to show the Pinterest Pin button in each post.

For now I have activated it only for Admins and Guests. When I have it finished I will set it to work with the JUOT UserCP Option to enable/disable share buttons.

For now though I need a vB 3.8 forum to demo the features.

Feel free to ignore this thread.

The mod searches each post for a YouTube video- if none found it searches for an external image- if an external image is not found it searches for an attachment. If no attachment it *can* look for a user Avatar. If no Avatar it can just use a generic forum logo.

The last two options I have disabled on JUOT because I don't see the point in "pinning" a post with no real media content to Pinterest.

Therefore even guests will only see the Pinterest Pin button in posts with media content (example- no share button for this post.)

There will be share buttons for some of the following posts though.

Also Pinterest's counts don't update immediately- it can take a few minutes.

The mod can be found and downloaded from: Pinterest Sharing System by BOP5 for VB 3.8 VB 4.x!

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
My understanding of Pinterest is that it is for women. Since we only have like 4 of them here, why go through the trouble?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's basically just a place to share pics and videos. Women use it to share pics of shoes, dresses, recipes.... I don't mean to be stereotyping but that is what it looks like to me. Maybe some guys sharing pics of women's shoes too. But I don't know any one of my guy friends who joined Pinterst.

That said I posted some "shares" of Frank Sinatra YouTube videos and in an hour 16 people I don't know re-pinned (re-posted) them, each one a potential link back to the site they originally came from. Here on JUOT I've pinned some videos of animals (cute things) and got a handful of repins. :shrug:

It was more to fulfill the demand on the vBulletin forums for good working Pinterest integration. I think vBulletin is the first forum package out there to have pinterest integration available now.