• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

.vg TLD issues

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So apparently there is some manner of dispute between two companies that claim ownership of the .vg top level domain.

My domain is registered with Godaddy. When it started flaking out on me I contacted Godaddy to see what the problem was. They replied with this link:

Priority message to all our customers and registrars | Adamsnames.com

After searching all morning, there appears to be a lot of confusion as to what is going on.

Adamsnames The TLD Registry For gd, .tc .vg Issues A Further Statement on Problems | TheDomains.com

.GD, .TC and .VG TLDs are back online for registrations and transfers | Online Domain

Godaddy apparently stopped doing registrations and has locked out my ability to edit DNS records (though they don't seem to be propagating anyway) and according to this they've suspended registration since March:

All .tc & .vg domains frozen since March. What is GoDaddy doing about it? | Forums | Groups | Go Daddy Support

...which begs the question: Why did they take my money to renew the domain back in April?

So I'm really not sure what the story is here, but I decided to cough up the money to "transfer" my domain to Meridian:

Meridian | Runs the Registries for .TC .VG

I'm still waiting on it to get out of pending status so that I can change the name servers, to see if that works or not. If I had to look at the two websites to determine which one was legit, Meridian looks more professional than AdamsNames.

Meridian | Runs the Registries for .TC .VG
Adamsnames.com

Last edited by a moderator:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Wtf is a .vg extension? Or those others? I haven't seen those.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm done with GoDaddy myself. I'll be changing all GoDaddy domains to vast superior and cheaper Name.com as soon as their "60 day" lock expires they put on after I tried to move 1 domain.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I told the support guy today that I understand that part of this problem is outside of their control, but that I blame them for not communicating the issue to me when they became aware of it. The first time they mentioned anything about the problem was when I contacted them when the site went down. They've known about it for almost three months now.

I'm seriously considering switching registrars. It's just a pain in the ass to switch them all at the same time and end up paying for registration that you've already paid for with Godaddy.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So the domain transfer to Meridian is complete and my domain is back up.... though it's still using Godaddy's name servers. Trying to get the new NS records propagated now. I'm going to be using Amazon's Route 53 DNS and will likely migrate all of my domains to their DNS so that I can have one place to change that stuff rather than having to deal with different registrars.... especially GoDaddy with their shitty interface.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Godaddy refused my support ticket request to refund me for the domain renewal. I called and threatened to take all of my business elsewhere and was promptly issued a credit towards a few domains that I had up for renewal.