• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Executive order 14057

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Received the Implementing Instructions for Executive Order 14057 to Executive Order 14057 today.

From a fleet management prospective this is huge change. EO 14057 calls for 100 percent of light-duty vehicle acquisitions are Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs) by 2027 and 100 percent medium-duty vehicle (MDV) and heavy-duty vehicle (HDV) acquisitions are ZEVs by 2035. That's 5 years to transition from leasing of ICE light-duty vehicles to ZEV's. Currently there is no infrastructure at all to support ZEV's at my location and no building projects scheduled to begin. Going to be interesting to see if the federal government is going to be able to fund the cost of developing the infrastructure to meet the requirement. Add to this the requirements for producing green electricity also coming into effect.

Interesting times we live in.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
What happens to these vehicles when you're in bum fuck sand land with no rational power source? I get we have generators, but they can only do so much when you're tents are relying on them.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
We requested and were denied exemptions for Alaska. 100% implementation, no exceptions.

Can't wait for the panic calls from people stranded on the side of the road with no heat when it's -40 outside.

I'll be retired before this comes into full effect, not going to miss watching this happen.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Yeah, F that noise. We can barely field ICE vehicles that are dependable.

Received the Implementing Instructions for Executive Order 14057 to Executive Order 14057 today.

From a fleet management prospective this is huge change. EO 14057 calls for 100 percent of light-duty vehicle acquisitions are Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs) by 2027 and 100 percent medium-duty vehicle (MDV) and heavy-duty vehicle (HDV) acquisitions are ZEVs by 2035. That's 5 years to transition from leasing of ICE light-duty vehicles to ZEV's. Currently there is no infrastructure at all to support ZEV's at my location and no building projects scheduled to begin. Going to be interesting to see if the federal government is going to be able to fund the cost of developing the infrastructure to meet the requirement. Add to this the requirements for producing green electricity also coming into effect.

Interesting times we live in.

Messed up for sure, but at least charging stations are relatively easy to install. If you can get by with 240v chargers then not really an issue. If you need fast DC chargers.... As long as you have reliable electricity, otherwise good luck. Cold weather range is probably the bigger problem than installing charging stations.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Messed up for sure, but at least charging stations are relatively easy to install. If you can get by with 240v chargers then not really an issue. If you need fast DC chargers.... As long as you have reliable electricity, otherwise good luck. Cold weather range is probably the bigger problem than installing charging stations.
Cold weather range I guess would potentially result in him needing way more charging stations, since I assume military vehicles need to drive away from the base a fair distance.

I wonder what kind of POS OshKosh diesel truck with an enormous generator is going to be commissioned by the military to charge the other trucks. They're gonna have to build a shitload of them and get them before 2035 I guess.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Most of the admin vehicles that will be going electric initially are used on or around the installation. Actual military vehicles used by units are not going electric at this time, only the admin vehicles assigned to them. Still a large burden to install charges at each office location, we are working to put in pooled chargers but it's not that easy. Most activities have one or two assigned admin vehicles and are not located close to other activities. So you end up with 1/2 chargers at each building. Not the most cost effective way to go, unless you pool the chargers and tell users to walk/drive to the pooled location to pick up their admin vehicles for the day. Then you have the issue of clearing the snow in the winter, something the individual activities are responsible for it parked at their location. At a pooled location? Not so much.

So, are they putting in 240v chargers for overnight charging or are they going full high speed DC chargers? I would assume either DC or a combination depending on other factors.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not sure, that's no my department. I'm sure they will go cheap and whatever they do won't work well in the winter.