• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Stay far away from FOSCAM!!!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A few months back I posted how I had given up on my Zmodo camera and went to Foscam.

At first I was very happy, but then I found some software (firmware) issues that made recording difficult at best and unreliable at worst which is a major drawback for a security camera being used to record...

However the video quality, especially at night was top notch. I made sure to promote this fact in my Amazon reviews.

It was therefore with great hope I looked to a recent firmware update thinking this might solve all my issues. Unfortunately rather than help the situation the latest Foscam 2.11.1.10 firmware only made things worse.

I spent significant time documenting the problems and posting about it on Foscam's official support forums (which I had been warned earlier that they don't actually provide support on, it's for customers to help each other, not for them to help customers.) in hopes someone could see the issues and fix the,

Foscam Forum View topic - 2.11.1.10 Firmware on FI9821W V2

I included screen shots, video clip, and detailed list of problems.

After a number of days and a bunch of people reporting the same issues does Foscam address the problems? No... instead they edit my post, delete some of my complaints, claim somethings aren't true (basically means I'm lying) and give a long winded response of why their demo camera doesn't have the problems I describe but of course are unable to replicate the issue I actually complained about.

It was incredibly insulting. It was also incredibly obvious what kind of company Foscam really is. If they can't provide support they shouldn't have support forums. When you go to their pages you get a very annoying pop-up from some random "support representative" asking you if you have any questions- but it is all bullshit. I've asked that rep questions before and they never answer- eventually I get an error that the window has timed out... :rolleyes:

The Foscam hardware seemed decent but their firmware has gone from a C- to a big red F and rather than address the issues all customers are getting are edited posts, deleted content, and the reassurance that one demo unit in "texas" is working fine so the problem must be with us. :down:

You want to seriously try to fix the problem Foscam? maybe make contact with one of all these customers with the complaints and offer to swap out the camera for one you know is working, then get the problem camera back to your office and actually examine it to figure out what the problem is- not sit behind your desk and upload video clips from a demo unit claiming everything is great from where you sit.

Here- before they delete it again- their support is basically calling me a liar-

Because I didn't post the "full" screenshot. The full screenshot doesn't fit in the limited width of their forums. But here is the FULL screenshot proving I am in SD record mode AND using IE browser.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
In the first PM he tells me he had to edit my original title telling people to "Stay Away" from the new firmware because the firmware fixes an exploit that has been released to the wild that would allow an 8 year old full access to the camera.

In PM two he says he will ban me and this is my "final warning" if I keep being disrespectful and that I should clear by browser cache and try again to use the camera- something I already tried.

PM 3 was a warning telling me to read my other PMs and disrespect will not be tolerated!

PM 4 was a note saying I need to read my PMs!
Note: As a Moderator in this Forum. I also need you to read the PM ("Private Messages") I have sent you about your conduct here.
I guess I'm not dealing with the sharpest blade in the set here.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's only got SCAM in the name :pirate:
I'm gonna use that if I don't get banned over my latest post.

Don,

I acknowledge I have read your "PMs. " I was not aware of the severe security exploit that made the firmware upgrade a requirement when I posted my original thread title- but it does make me worry if such a big exploit existed before, who is to say there aren't more. I guess my dream of downgrading is dashed. :(

I can only wonder that perhaps had Foscam mentioned a giant security hole in their list of 11 improvements to to the Firmware this all could have been avoided.

For reference these were the 11 items Foscam said was different about this firmware.

Improvements:

Enhanced and secured usage of the Foscam DDNS.
Introduced a .exe installer for browser plug-ins.
Added functionality for patch installations.
Added a setup wizard feature.
Added a download button for the latest firmware available.
Added support for uploading alarm recordings to an FTP server (without audio).
Added prerecord feature for cameras without an SD card.
Improved the RTSP feature.
Enhanced the ONVIF feature.
Enhanced the over-write feature on SD card recordings.
Improved the wifi driver.
As I don't use the Foscam DDNS there didn't seem to be any security improvements for me.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It gets worse...

For well over a year FOSCAM has been telling customers their engineers were working on an update to the browser plugin that allows it to work in Google Chrome. Chrome was depreciating NPAPI support which the current plugin required to work.

As of September 1st 2015 new versions of Chrome no longer support NPAPI and as a result the web interface for the cameras have broken.

FOSAM dropped support for IE and Firefox a couple years prior.

There is effectively no web interface available anymore and the company has apparently decided web interfaces are no longer necessary and despite their prior promises have no plans to update the software. :down: