• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

So do you read one book at a time?

Dr. Evil

I have several books I'm reading at once. I suspect I have ADD or OCd or whatever the fzck they call it.

I'm reading these books at the moment:

• Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone
  • A second after
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • The Road
  • The Stand ( again )
Do you re-read the same books multiple times?

HHRLisa

Attention Whore
I can reread a good book over and over, but i can only read one at a time. I like to get lost in the story so reading more than one just messes it up in my mind.

Dr. Evil

I can reread a good book over and over, but i can only read one at a time. I like to get lost in the story so reading more than one just messes it up in my mind.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like I get bored reading only one book. In fact I've been known to start reading a book. Set it down. Then pick it up a few months later and pick it rite back up where I left off.

Quirky I know. :rotflmao:

HHRLisa

Attention Whore
Thanks for the reply. It seems like I get bored reading only one book. In fact I've been known to start reading a book. Set it down. Then pick it up a few months later and pick it rite back up where I left off.

If i put a book down after starting it and don't pick it back up for a month or more i start over. I usually finish a book in just a few days

when i was in school, i had a ton of textbooks and usually had some kind of action-adventure or sci-fi novel to read in bed or the bathroom.

when i was down and out or broken up, i'd finish a book every few days. in jail, i might read one a day. the only times i ever read the new testament all the way through was in twice in jail .

there are a number of books i make a point of reading every few years. catch-22, 1984, animal farm, brave new world, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, a few others. there are lots of authors like dickens, poe, doyle, twain, thurber, steinbeck, orwell, hemingway, huxley, vonnegutt, sanders, farmer, heinlein, bradbury, niven and asimov, whose books i reread when i run across them for a quarter somewhere

Last edited:

Ulf Fwatling

I have several books I'm reading at once. I suspect I have ADD or OCd or whatever the fzck they call it.

I'm reading these books at the moment:

• Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone
  • A second after
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • The Road
  • The Stand ( again )
Do you re-read the same books multiple times?
Multiple readings? I'm glad my copy of Unintended Consequences isn't a first edition - damned covers are falling off...

I've been through no less than six copies of The Bachman Books over the years - but to be fair, half of them were worn out and the other half were "loaned out." Now that King has said he's not going to reprint it, my copy isn't allowed to leave the house.

John Dies at the End? I've read it at least twoscore times!

Most of my collection of Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Harrison, Lovecraft, Preston Child, and Lee Child are similar.

Hackworth's About Face and Hazardous Duty - excellent reading, well worth the time. (I had the good fortune to correspond extensively with Hack before he reported to the Final Muster. It's good to get to talk with your heroes - I have, so far, been able to talk with Hackworth, Boehm, and Watson.)

Frankly, I don't think I own a book I've read "only once" - I can be said to have read some volumes I have "only" a dozen times, tho...

Ulf Fwatling

when i was in school, i had a ton of textbooks and usually had some kind of action-adventure or sci-fi novel to read in bed or the bathroom.

when i was down and out or broken up, i'd finish a book every few days. in jail, i might read one a day. the only times i ever read the new testament all the way through was in twice in jail .

there are a number of books i make a point of reading every few years. catch-22, 1984, animal farm, brave new world, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, a few others. there are lots of authors like dickens, poe, doyle, twain, thurber, steinbeck, orwell, hemingway, huxley, vonnegutt, sanders, farmer, heinlein, bradbury, niven and asimov, whose books i reread when i run across them for a quarter somewhere
If you enjoy Catch-22, might I suggest Harry Harrison's Bill, the Galactic Hero? Similar vein, different approach.

If you enjoy Catch-22, might I suggest Harry Harrison's Bill, the Galactic Hero? Similar vein, different approach.
that one sounds familiar.

my favorite off the wall comedy with odd philosophical subtones is philip farmer, writing as kurt vonnegutt's fictional alter ego, kilgore trout, expanding a vonnegutt vignette into venus on the half shell.

Whiteness

My wife will read multiple books at a time, mostly because she leaves them different places.

I usually stick to one at a time and I often re-read books. I've read all of James Clavell's books more times than I can remember.

neevo

Limey Hippo
I may read a few at a time but mostly because one is a technical book, another a novel and another (currently) mindbogglingly interesting but tough on my meagre brain to understand. The tech bonk is about windows, the novel a spy thriller and the intelligent one is "Einstein's Universe". That last one is one of the few books I have ever read twice.

If I read a novel it's not so much words as a film playing in my mind and re-reading it brings the same pictures back and I know the ending so find another to read. I think that's why I find move is made of novels I have read boring or disappointing as they cant match what I have already seen (if that makes sense)

The stuff I had to read for school exams never played like that in my head and hence I just never enjoyed them or finished them. I just bullsh!tted about them in the exams

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
I have a couple going at any one time. Usually one technical and a couple of fun reads. The technical one is on patterns, the nightstand read is Robb's latest "in death" -can't remember the name, "thrill ride" on the nook for the gym and the living room read is "the unsung hero".

I spend way too much money on books each month... it is my vice! :clapping:

Cornholio01

Often will have:

1) Something sports-related
2) biz of some sort. American finance history likely
3) military subject, be it U.S. or world