• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Hardwood floor cleaner

dirtrider

Those of you with real hardwoods what do you use on a weekly basis to mop them with.

I have recently been using Murphy's Oil Soap but it seems to develop a weird film/haze after a day or so. I would like something I can use with my Bona micro-fiber mopper that makes them look non-streaky. In the past I used vinegar/water mixture but that doesn't bring the shine out.

What say JUOT

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
White vinegar and hot water worked for me. Not sure why it doesn't bring the shine out for you.

shrug

dirtrider

White vinegar and hot water worked for me. Not sure why it doesn't bring the shine out for you.

shrug
It seems like maybe in the last couple months or so I might have used some crappy cleaner/wax type stuff that is actually causing the film/buildup.:nono: Dunno..I might have to try some type of stripper/cleaner and start fresh...

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
It seems like maybe in the last couple months or so I might have used some crappy cleaner/wax type stuff that is actually causing the film/buildup.:nono: Dunno..I might have to try some type of stripper/cleaner and start fresh...
When I did woodworking I'd end up with Johnson's paste wax as the final finish. The toughest wax I know of. But diluted ammonia took it right off. Can't remember the ratio.

John

Transplant
VIP
The wife hits ours once a week with a swiffer. Original 1940s hardwoods look great.

dirtrider

The wife hits ours once a week with a swiffer. Original 1940s hardwoods look great.
I think the older floors were of much greater quality. Our current house is only a few years old and has the lighter colored hardwood (think light tan) and it just doesn't seem as sturdy as our older house with the darker wood.

I did buy a can of the Johnsons paste and will have to try it whilst watching the SEC dominate tommorrow.:beerchug:

dirtrider

My black labs were field trial dogs of pedigree and lived in their own doghouse in the open carport. Only inside during bad storms. Animals belong outside.

The only people that keep their dogs outside 24/7 in Asheville are either WT or _________'s. Cars belong in a carport. My dog is not a field dog and loves to sit next to me at the foot of the couch and watch college football and occasionally drinking some of my cheap merican beer. :beerchug:

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
The only people that keep their dogs outside 24/7 in Asheville are either WT or _________'s. Cars belong in a carport. My dog is not a field dog and loves to sit next to me at the foot of the couch and watch college football and occasionally drinking some of my cheap merican beer. :beerchug:
I'm sure your nacho eating dog is a top quality dog. still WT to allow animals inside.

Dutch169

Union and proud of it.

Murphy's made mine very dull and left a film look to them. I tried the Bona Spray and micro fiber mop and it didn't improve them much. Been using Pledge hardwood floor cleaner and micro fiber mop from Quickie from Home Depot. Took a few applications but the shine is back. I clean them once a week with it.