• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TacoBell Breakfast Review - Waffle Taco, AM Crunch Wrap, and more...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Taco Bell breakfast has arrived in Bayside, New York!

As you can see I have sampled some of the items they had- since I'm not really a sausage person these are all of the bacon variety.

First I started with their AM Grilled Taco - Bacon.

This is a very light item, I mean physically, it didn't weigh much at all. It only costs a $1. It has scrambled egg, bacon, and cheese. The bacon had a smokey taste to me. It was really more of bacon bits than actual bacon and I wouldn't call it crispy. That said, it was still good. The closest exiting fast food breakfast Item I could compare it to is a Dunkin Donuts Wake Up Wrap with Bacon- but they have real strips of bacon.

Next I wanted to try the Hashbrown.

It's what you'd expect- seems to be a bit larger than a McDonalds hashbrown and possibly flatter. It has its expected share of grease. Took the opportunity to try their morning "Salsa de Sol" condiment specifically intended for their breakfast foods. It wasn't bad but I don't usually put salsa on my Taco Bell and this wasn't going to change me over.

Next was the much anticipated Waffle Taco- clearly the star of the breakfast lineup.

Unlike all the other entries wrapped in paper this had its own box. They include a small syrup so you could put it on if you waned but I'm not really a syrup person either. It had the familiar bacon, egg, and cheese of the grilled taco but a bit more. The waffle was thick enough to be effective but not too thick. It was tasty overall. There was no noticeable syrup taste like with McDonald's McGriddles which was fine with me.

The last item I tried this morning was the AM Crunchwrap Bacon.

If the Waffle Taco is the star the Crunchwrap is the work-horse. Available in bacon, sausage, or steak it also has all other breakfast favorites like egg, cheese, and hashbrowns all in a sealed, easy to eat tortilla.

The Crunchwrap was by far the heftiest of the Breakfast selections I tried- I considered it heavier than expected whereas everything else was lighter than I expected. One Crunchwrap is probably going to go a long way to filling up most people- add a side like a hashbrown or grilled AM taco and you have a solid breakfast for well under $5.

I didn't try the Breakfast Burrito because I was more than full at this point but it also had some mass to it- not as much as the Crunchwrap but it is priced less accordingly.

Overall I enjoyed all the items available- I would say their quality is comparable to the breakfast offering of the other big Fast Food places. Where the Taco Bell breakfast really shines right now is in price. $1 for grilled tacos, $1.60 for burritos, $2 and change for the crunchwrap- it was all very reasonable. Although breakfast foods tend to be cheaper at all places I'd venture to guess you're getting well more for your dollar at Taco Bell than McDonalds, at least for now. Remains to be seen if prices will go up- perhaps these prices are just to get us hooked?

Time will tell.

In terms of improvement I would hope one day they migrate to actual crispy bacon strips instead of these bacon bits.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Wow... I'll bet the hashbrowns are the same ones they served at Pizza Hut Express... same with the eggs. Yum Foods has been doing breakfast at the Pizza Hut Express locations for years. This is their first soiare into breakfast at their larger (both in size and quantity) restaurant chains.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't remember ever having breakfast at a Pizza Hut Express (perhaps in an airport?) but the hashbrowns shape and size seemed familiar.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
gross. That looks like vomit and not even in the sonic breakfast burrito league. they should make a $3 breakfast burrito on par with their cantina burrito and salads they offer with real fresh ingredients instead of precooked junk from a tub.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
I don't remember ever having breakfast at a Pizza Hut Express (perhaps in an airport?) but the hashbrowns shape and size seemed familiar.
Freshman year of college... used to pick up a hashbrown and an egg and cheese biscuit between my 7:30am and 8:30am classes.

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
The main advantage I see with the Taco Bell breakfast over the other crappy fast food choices is the ability to get a 32oz Mtn Dew to wash it all down. :azj:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I think I'm going to try the AM crunch wrap and the fried cream cheese things.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
Your mom is an enabler and you have a skewed perception of what real food is.

You could not pay me money to eat Taco Bell breakfast, or any fast food for that matter.

All that said, it does taste good going down.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Dumbest article of the week award. No food photos ever look the same in fast food, any staged photo is going to look better- but they didn't even try- the official crunchwrap photo has the tortilla cut away, their photo has bites taken out... The others don't look all that different.
plus, those "real" pics look a lot better than I expected for an attack piece.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Your mom is an enabler and you have a skewed perception of what real food is.

You could not pay me money to eat Taco Bell breakfast, or any fast food for that matter.

All that said, it does taste good going down.
:owned: she smokes, he eats. :naw: