• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Alternatives to shredding paper?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
We've had years and years of old papers to shred around here lately- already burned out one shredder.

It seems to me there has to be a better / faster way of destroying paper.

Yes, I know there are services I can call (and pay) to take the paper.

I also could just watch it get picked up by the trash and know it is probably safe- again, not the issue.

One thought is to fill a garbage can maybe with water and bleach maybe and pour in the papers and let it soak for a while... You think it would break down at some point?

Fire is unfortunately not an option here in NYC.

Washing machine? Seems like it would ruin it... same with dishwasher.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Does it all really need shredding or is it just too much to go through and pull the sensitive stuff out?

neevo

Limey Hippo
Screw it up and put it in a compost. It will take a few weeks but will go in the end giving yo free compost for your garden

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
We've had years and years of old papers to shred around here lately- already burned out one shredder.

It seems to me there has to be a better / faster way of destroying paper.

Yes, I know there are services I can call (and pay) to take the paper.

I also could just watch it get picked up by the trash and know it is probably safe- again, not the issue.

One thought is to fill a garbage can maybe with water and bleach maybe and pour in the papers and let it soak for a while... You think it would break down at some point?

Fire is unfortunately not an option here in NYC.

Washing machine? Seems like it would ruin it... same with dishwasher.
Bleach should work.

That was our policy at Chili's for CC receipts. We stored, I think it was 6 months, hard copies on site. Then when rotating out it was policy to dump bleach/sanitizer on them when tossing. It certainly affects the printing on receipt paper. As for regular ink jet printing...maybe

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Does it all really need shredding or is it just too much to go through and pull the sensitive stuff out?
Surprisingly most of it needs shredding. I didn't open every envelope to pull out advertisements but bank statements inside them contain account numbers. Then years that my SS# was on every (weekly) paycheck stub. Mostly years of bank statements and paystubs for everyone in my family.

As for regular ink jet printing...maybe
I'd imagine most everything is laser printed.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Since you can't have burn barrel (which we use a lot), get a company like Iron Mountain to stop in and shred it for you.

In PA, there are places where you can drop off docs to be shredded. Not sure if it's free or not though.

Just buy a good shredder and go easy on it. You don't have to cram 1/4" of paper through at a time and you don't have to run it 1/2 hour straight.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A few boxes worth. Would probably take 6 to 8 hours of constant shredding at least, no counting having to empty and let it cool down from time to time.