• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gas Tank Skid (TJ)

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Is that all that holds in the gas tank? Mine looks like its about to fall out.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Pretty much. IIRC the tank is strapped to the skid and the skid is bolted to the Jeep. Not sure why they didn't strap the tank to the vehicle (like basically everything else made) and then bolt the skid over it, but whateva.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Pretty much. IIRC the tank is strapped to the skid and the skid is bolted to the Jeep. Not sure why they didn't strap the tank to the vehicle (like basically everything else made) and then bolt the skid over it, but whateva.
yes

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Nice. So my skid plate is rusted in half in the front. Filled up with gas today, and I'm guessing it popped on the way home. Then the wind caught it and bent it down to where it's practically touching the ground. The back end is still around the tank and holding it up, but the front is tilted down a bit. Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what availability is like.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Dealer?

Buy a damn aftermarket skid and install it.

Warn made a decent one that I beat the shit out of on my TJ.

go bling and get an aluminum one from Savvy...another option

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dealer?

Buy a damn aftermarket skid and install it.

Warn made a decent one that I beat the shit out of on my TJ.

go bling and get an aluminum one from Savvy...another option
Only checking the dealer in hopes of getting it in time to install this weekend. If that's a bust, I'll order online. Probably will go with OEM unless I can find aftermarket for not much more money. Looks like Amazon has OEM for about $100.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Only checking the dealer in hopes of getting it in time to install this weekend. If that's a bust, I'll order online. Probably will go with OEM unless I can find aftermarket for not much more money. Looks like Amazon has OEM for about $100.
No

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
OEM took 18 years and 268k miles to fail. I don't see a compelling reason to spend extra money on aftermarket. Not like I do much in the way of wheeling these days.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Because mods, bro :pirate:
Meh. We'll see. I think I need more than the skid. Maybe straps, bolts, etc. We'll see. This is going to be a huge hassle. Basically the worst timing possible. Filled up on the way home, so it has a full tank of fuel. I no longer have a garage and the driveway is gravel..... so yeah, not happy about this one.

Need to figure out how I'm going to siphon out 19 gallons of fuel first.

Probably should change the fuel pump out while I'm in there.

Ugh

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Siphoning the gas isn't necessary. It's nice to have a fairly empty tank but not needed.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Check local Jeep boards, someone has to have one sitting around collecting dust. I have one in my shed you can have for the shipping cost, which from Alaska would be a lot.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
OEM is $100. Hard to justify going used or upgrading. This one lasted 18 years.....