• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

All-in-one PCs

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
No. Gotta be a PC. No dicking around with parallels.
My concern usually falls to the quality of the components. With an all-in-one, a single failure can screw you over for the entirety of the parts. A bad or damaged screen, for example can cost you the entire value of the computer as opposed to just buying a replacement screen. IMO, most are junk.

Ralph

VIP
My concern usually falls to the quality of the components. With an all-in-one, a single failure can screw you over for the entirety of the parts. A bad or damaged screen, for example can cost you the entire value of the computer as opposed to just buying a replacement screen. IMO, most are junk.
Yeah I hear you.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I have a customer that had one, that was fairly expensive, and they knocked it over at a party of some sort and damaged the screen. Damn screen would cost me ~180 to get the part and I'd have to charge them labor which would put the repair over $300 for a $600 computer.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
All in ones are junk, except for iMacs even though I don't really like the things. You can run Windows natively on a Mac without using Parallels, FYI.

Just get a separate tower and monitor. AIO's are worse than laptops because they usually use desktop processors that run hotter, and they're a lot less common as far as parts go. The target market is basically old people so not a lot of engineering goes into them.

Get a mini-PC and mount it on the back of the monitor, then add wireless keyboard and mouse. Essentially the same thing without a touch screen (that you'd probably never use), but more options for replacing parts and swapping monitors and such. That's what I did with a Gigabyte Brix, couldn't be happier.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
Grandpa's secretary has an imac G3 and the screen is so green it's almost unreadable from being on 24/5 for the last 16 years. jjj

Ralph

VIP
Get a mini-PC and mount it on the back of the monitor, then add wireless keyboard and mouse. Essentially the same thing without a touch screen (that you'd probably never use), but more options for replacing parts and swapping monitors and such. That's what I did with a Gigabyte Brix, couldn't be happier.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted this thread. Good call.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Bought my mom a all in one from Dell a couple years ago. She kept destroying laptops and the all in one has survived longer than any laptop so far. She loves it.

For work I ordered 35 Small Form Factor PC's, as described above we mount them to the back of the monitor and use USB keyboards and mouse. Great for training rooms and briefing rooms that need computer access.