• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Mad Men- final episode

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Is it worth watching if you've never seen more than a couple episodes in bits and pieces before?

I DVRed it but never watched the series. :shrug:

John

Transplant
VIP
You wouldn't get a lot of it. Although, they didn't resolve some things anyway....

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
no, you wont get it unless you watched the whole show. Thought they did a good job though. still my vote for best series of all time.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So I watched it anyway...

and I was zoning out a bit toward the end I guess I missed something. Last I remember 2 women were in a restaurant talking about starting their own agency next thing I know the old Coca Cola commercial starts playing and indeed ends the episode. What did I miss? Is it implied those two women started the agency that made that commercial?

John

Transplant
VIP
So I watched it anyway...

and I was zoning out a bit toward the end I guess I missed something. Last I remember 2 women were in a restaurant talking about starting their own agency next thing I know the old Coca Cola commercial starts playing and indeed ends the episode. What did I miss? Is it implied those two women started the agency that made that commercial?
You missed a lot and it didn't imply that at all. If anything, it was Don. That's what brothered me was that they never gave any real closure on him...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
ahhh...

After the episode aired, many were quick to link Mr. Backer — and the ad that he helped create for the McCann Erickson agency, where the fictional Mr. Draper also worked — to the show’s brooding, famously flawed protagonist. But Mr. Backer, who will turn 89 in June, insists otherwise.

“I’ve forgotten most of my vices,” Mr. Backer said. “I’m not Don Draper.”

The inclusion of the so-called Hilltop commercial — which features a multicultural cast singing on a hillside — had some wondering if “Mad Men” had simply been one long advertisement.

For its part, Coca-Cola said it had virtually nothing to do with the ad’s placement. Conversations about including the commercial began about a year ago, when Matthew Weiner, the creator of “Mad Men,” approached Coca-Cola. The company eventually provided Mr. Weiner with a high-definition copy of the ad. The original film is at the Library of Congress in Washington.

“No money changed hands,” Wendy Clark, a top marketing executive at Coca-Cola North America, said in an interview Monday.

Only a handful of employees and executives even knew the commercial would be part of the show, she said.

“We had no idea of the story line,” she added. “We knew better than to ask.”

She described a tense moment shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday as she and several colleagues watching the show wondered when the commercial would appear. Sitting at home, laptop at the ready, she thought to herself, “I might be writing a different internal email.”

Then came the final scene. Don Draper sat meditating on a hillside at a spiritual retreat on the California coast. A smirk formed on his lips and then the Coca-Cola ad began.

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
You missed a lot and it didn't imply that at all. If anything, it was Don. That's what brothered me was that they never gave any real closure on him...
It was mad men you shouldn't have expected it.

John

Transplant
VIP
Yeah, I kinda figured but was hoping to be surprised. I did think he'd end up in CA though...

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
He didn't end up in Ca. He took the yoga idea and went back to work and made the coke commercial

John

Transplant
VIP
I know. I was just saying that I thought he'd end up in CA.

I forgot his name, but the guy with the beard who ended up with Peggy kinda said it when he said Don is a survivor and will be fine.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I didn't see beard and peggy getting together. Kinda felt like a quick wrapup for their roles