• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Garbage Disposal crapped out

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Guess I get to replace it this week. Just stopped working, would hum when turned on, had a bit of smoke underneath the cabinet too. Burned up I suppose.

Lasted 14 years.

These aren't a big deal to replace, are they? I've never replaced one.

John

Transplant
VIP
No. Just take digital pics of how its hooked up and reinstall. It's pretty straightforward.

Before you replace it. Hit the reset button and use an allen wrench on the bottowm to try and work the movement free. M

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
got a brand new one in my garage I never used on the old place if you want to stop by and grab it :jump:

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
If you get a compatible model it's a 2 minute job. If you get a different model you'll have to swap the fitting on the sink and change the discharge pipe. Not a big deal regardless.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Pretty much what everyone else said here is on point.....
I replaced the one in CO, and the one that was installed here sucked, so I replaced it too. I had to do the discharge pipes on both because I went with the Tim Allen "Wood Chipper" model of disposals when I installed them. :D

Ardvark

If you get a compatible model it's a 2 minute job. If you get a different model you'll have to swap the fitting on the sink and change the discharge pipe. Not a big deal regardless.
Easy. Not 2 minute easy but easy.

I ha e a brand new one also. I punch out some little plastic piece that I thought I had to but I didnt. But soul don't use it

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Not sure about there, but the ReStores here always seem to have brand new In Sink Erator base model (1/4 hp I think) Badgers for $25 with power cords. Not sure where they get them, but there is always one on the shelf with a date in the last day or two on the bar code.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I stopped at Lowes last night and grabbed a new disposal, et al.

Checked the disposal once more when I got home and the damn thing was working :rotflmao: Just hit the reset and it worked fine. Wouldn't reset before. Even when I checked it again on Tuesday the thing wouldn't reset and wasn't even humming or anything.

Now I'm torn...do I return this stuff or install it?

Checked the disposal once more when I got home and the damn thing was working :rotflmao: Just hit the reset and it worked fine. Wouldn't reset before. Even when I checked it again on Tuesday the thing wouldn't reset and wasn't even humming or anything.

good god....do you EVER fawking listen to me?

The overload circuit may have become weak or damaged causing it to trip too early. I'd keep the new one for a week or so and use the old one to see if works trouble free.