• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Macbook

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Anyone have the new Macbook?

My 13" Air is getting tired and I've been putting off buying one. I do not use an external monitor, but I am on the comptuer almost all day, so I am a little concerned about the smaller but higher resolution display. Wondering how bad that will be on my eyes.

Any feedback?

IBJustintellsmetobuysomeDellthatwillbreakafter45minutes

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Anyone have the new Macbook?

My 13" Air is getting tired and I've been putting off buying one. I do not use an external monitor, but I am on the comptuer almost all day, so I am a little concerned about the smaller but higher resolution display. Wondering how bad that will be on my eyes.

Any feedback?

IBJustintellsmetobuysomeDellthatwillbreakafter45minutes
My Dell machines last for years, you are the one trying to replace a crappy Mac with another Mac. :clapping:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My sister still rolls her MBP from 2006 as a beater.

I still roll an old Dell Precision laptop Workstation from '09 at home, rarely though. It has XP Pro on it, so it's slow as ****. Tower w/ 10 screams.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Hmm daily use...probably 2011. Have one from 2009 that I use on occasion for certain purposes.
I'm just giving you a hard time. My MBA is from 2012, but I like to sell them every 3-4 years when they are still worth $300-400.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I know. At least you get some decent resale from them. :beerchug:
I'm sure a higher end PC would be great, but my last job sent me a brand new Toshiba in the $400-500 range that crashed while I was trying to set it up. Slowest computer I have ever used.

Guess nobody here has the new 12".... Macbook

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
New Macbook is essentially a Netbook. I'd pass unless an iPad is a viable alternative to a laptop for you.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
New Macbook is essentially a Netbook. I'd pass unless an iPad is a viable alternative to a laptop for you.
I do a little bit of mild photo editing in an old version of PS Elements but otherwise it's mostly web and word processing for me. You'd still pass?

I'm looking to spend under $1100, if possible. Don't mind a refurb. Business has been a little slow lately.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I do a little bit of mild photo editing in an old version of PS Elements but otherwise it's mostly web and word processing for me. You'd still pass?

I'm looking to spend under $1100, if possible. Don't mind a refurb. Business has been a little slow lately.
I would pass. It's a super low power processor. I'd consider it to be on-par processing wise with an iPad and too small to use all day long. Disclaimer: I don't own one and have precious little personal experience with one.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I know it looks stylish in a coffee shop setting but there is nothing like the real thing.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I would pass. It's a super low power processor. I'd consider it to be on-par processing wise with an iPad and too small to use all day long. Disclaimer: I don't own one and have precious little personal experience with one.
That's what I've read, too - and have the same lack of actual experience with them personally. Seems they're hedging toward long battery life with a dinky-ass spec sheet, hoping most people don't do stuff that requires much processing power. Honestly that's probably best for most people, but it wouldn't work worth a shit for me or you due to compiling stuff. Most people resize images or add effects and that's about as hard as they make the processor(s) work. Those folks would be happy as shit with 10+ hours of battery life.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Thanks, all. I'll hold off a month. There's really no hurry, I've just noticed some diminishing battery life in mine and am thinking four years old is about time for replacement.

I really don't give a shit what it looks like in a coffee shop. Just used to Macs and don't see myself changing any time soon.