• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Fire TV (Regular & Stick)

Lots of stuff on the Amazon Android app site claims it's not compatible with FireTV for some reason. Some are semi-valid in that it requires a mouse or similar to use. Good news is a lot of it works anyway. The cool thing as I think you guys have noticed is if you install from Amazon to your other Android device then side-load it to FireTV it shows up in the FireTV menus. You don't have to click your way down the manage applications crap to get to it.

Now if only you could use an external drive for app data without rooting....

That reminds me, I have this remote/keyboard/mouse in a closet. Also not bluetooth, but it's a universal learning IR remote and RF. I should see if I can get it to work with AFTV. A great remote for XBMC/Kodi.

edit: This is a pulse-eight nyxboard and I'm pretty sure it's been out of production for a couple years. A blutooth version would be perfect.

Last edited:

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
And that reminds ME that I have an SMK LINK universal remote that is Bluetooth. Bought it for the PS3 and I haven't used it since I got rid of DirecTV. I'll try it later this week.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That reminds me, I have this remote/keyboard/mouse in a closet. Also not bluetooth, but it's a universal learning IR remote and RF. I should see if I can get it to work with AFTV. A great remote for XBMC/Kodi.
I don't see how it would- as far as I know the Fire TV remote is bluetooth.

Update: Some are WiFi but still not IR for Learning Remotes.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Big OS Updated...

Can now connect to Wifi in Hotels and the like that requires you to access a web page to agree to terms/verify information.

Can finally use USB storage on the original Fire TV!

==========================================
OS 1.5
UPDATE

Good news! Your Amazon
Fire TV and Fire TV Stick have received a software update that contains features
requested by customers like you. The update has been applied automatically to
your devices and you will notice the new features when you next use them. We
appreciate your enthusiasm and feedback and we are hard at work on future
updates.

Connect to your hotel or dorm room Wi-Fi with captive portal support
-- Take your favorite movies, TV shows, games, and more with you when you're
away from home. Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick enable you to connect to Wi-Fi
that requires web authentication--this includes Wi-Fi at most major hotels, as
well as some universities.

New X-Ray on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick --
You can now use X-Ray on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick to explore your
favorite movies and TV shows on Amazon Instant Video directly on your TV screen.
Powered by IMDb, identify actors and songs in the current scene, explore actor
bios, and more by simply clicking the "Up" button on your Amazon Fire TV and
Fire TV Stick remote.

Browse and search Prime Playlists -- Prime members can
now take advantage of Prime Music playlists directly from Amazon Fire TV and
Fire TV Stick--there are hundreds of expertly curated Prime Playlists to choose
from based on your mood, activity, artist, or decade of choice.
Browse Prime
Music Playlists: Amazon.com Prime Playlists Digital Music

Hidden PIN
entry -- With the new PIN entry screen that hides the numbers selected, you can
now make sure your kids can't see your device PIN as you enter it on--screen to
confirm a purchase.

New shortcuts -- Quickly put your Amazon Fire TV and Fire
TV Stick to sleep or enable display mirroring by pressing and holding the Home
button on your remote.

New Features Exclusive to Amazon Fire TV:
Expandable
USB storage -- Use a connected USB flash drive to expand your Amazon Fire TV
storage for downloaded apps and games--this enables you to have more games
downloaded for easy access.
See compatible USB storage devices:
Amazon.com Fire TV Storage Electronics

Private
listening on Amazon Fire TV -- Support for wireless Bluetooth headphones lets
you listen to your favorite movie, TV show, or music without bothering others in
your
household.

Amazon.com Help Amazon Fire TV Software Updates

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Had anyone found any tricks when watching Netflix to view old 4:3 content zoomed in / full screen? I'm surprised there seems to be no built in option.

I don't have my TV remote with me... My TiVo remote controls the TV but doesn't have that function... also then I have to undo it when I leave Netflix and I'm lazy. :shush:
Then you'll have to suffer through regular old non-zoomed video watching then. Short of something like Kodi/XBMC, I don't think any boxes or services do that - it would be more of a Netflix thing than a FireTV thing.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Got my hands on a 2nd Generation FireTV and I have to say, my feelings are a bit mixed.

Yes it's still a great gadget and the addition of "Alexa" to the voice control is great. Quick answers to questions, quicker access to music. However there are a couple of changes that leave me scratching my head.

Fire TV Gen 2 vs Fire TV Gen 1
Pros
4K Resolution Compatible
Amazon Alexa included with Voice Control now (coming soon to gen 1 FireTVs)
Addition of MicroSD memory slot

Cons
New remote control design extremely difficult to replace batteries
Optical audio out removed
Slightly more noticeable lag when using remote control

----

That said there is a great app called FireStarter that can override the default home screen which will allow you to launch custom side-loaded apps as well as the built in Echo apps. It also allows you to automatically download/install Kodi (Previously XMBC) which is the ultimate option for playing local content and content on your home network on your FireTV. Frankly 90% of the time I spend on my FireTV using XMBC/Kodi. Updated- not necessary anymore.

In fact I personally prefer SPMC (specifically 13.4.0) which is another branch of the XMBC/Kodi project better tuned to the FireTV in my option.

Edit-
Apparently SPMC is up to version 15.0 as of this writing - Releases koyingSPMC GitHub

Last edited:

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I haven't used the voice function on my FireTV and I don't know if I ever will.

Gonna have to look into that FireStarter.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So if you go with SPMC (or Kodi) you're going to eventually need to clear out your temp files and thumbnails to save on memory.

You'll need this to do it-

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Brand new interface for Amazon Fire TV's coming (all models) that make them look more like standard Android TV's but still has extras from Amazon. The 2nd generation devices are getting the update first.

Got email today though knew it was in the works for some time- some people already got the update.

Amazon Fire TV

Introducing a new Fire TV experience
Your Amazon Fire TV now has a new, cinematic on-screen experience that makes finding what to watch fast, easy, and enjoyable. Play current favorites or quickly discover what to watch next straight from the Home screen, plus find the best way to watch with universal search results from over 100 channels and apps including Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video. So go ahead—check it out on your Fire TV today.

Learn more: Amazon.com Help Navigate Your Fire TV (2nd Generation Devices)

The good news is that 3rd party / sideloaded apps still show up and Kodi and SPMC are still usable.