• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Network monkeys, a question

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
I offered to put together a new network for a church in town. Gonna have a big QoS router, a PoE switch of some sort, patch panel, 4U+ wall mount rack, rack shelf, etc.

Where's the best place to buy this stuff? It's a little out of Newegg's league, where I usually get my computer hardware.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Gonna through this out there. The company I work for is a Cisco Gold partner. We have offices in NY. If interested, shoot me a PM and I can have an account manager talk to you.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I know where I'd buy it, but I don't think they sell to the public.

Anixter, Graybar, CSC are our big three distributors.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Gonna through this out there. The company I work for is a Cisco Gold partner. We have offices in NY. If interested, shoot me a PM and I can have an account manager talk to you.
Thanks, but they're just buying a few small bits.

what do you need PoE for?
VOIP phone system. Not all of them can conveniently use AC adapters.

WTF are you buying for a church that is not available on Newegg? :puzzled:

Methinks a church is about to be taken for a ride...
Newegg doesn't stock much rack hardware themselves. I'm looking for choices.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Decide what you are going to buy, then look for where to buy it.

I have bought stuff from Newegg, Amazon, Provantage, CDW, NextWarehouse, Tiger, PCNation, etc.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
VOIP phone system. Not all of them can conveniently use AC adapters.
figured as much, but you would be surprised at the amount of people that "require" PoE but have no use for it.

You can buy damn near anything you want from Amazon.. I have had great luck with the Cisco SG200-50 and 50P switches..

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
I gotta do something about that server next. Their old IT guy built it from cheap parts almost ten years ago and it's not suitable for an office environment.

Is there a "implementing file severs for dummies" site?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I think it funny that I pay more per cut for Win7 ENT than for Server 2012 Essentials, but whatever.

Much easier for the church to swallow which means my task of getting all of their computers on to the same version of Windows and the same version of Office is a whole lot easier.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
How do you manage the new versions of Office in a small office (as in, too small for volume lic) environment? Create accounts for everyone to activate their shit on?