• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Portable external hard drives

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Looking for something in the 1-3 TB range. I'll be using it with an apple laptop. What is JUOT approved?

Western digital seems to have good reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Tell us about expected usage.

Is it going to travel a lot or stay at home? Is this for storage expansion? Backup? Transporting data? How much is the data you intend to store on it worth to you?

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Tell us about expected usage.

Is it going to travel a lot or stay at home? Is this for storage expansion? Backup? Transporting data? How much is the data you intend to store on it worth to you?
It's going to be for storing family photos and videos. Want a portable unit to keep all the stuff from bogging down the computers. I will likely get two in case one fails or crashes. It will probably spend 99% of its life in a desk drawer.

Like BOP said, I'm looking at usb powered for ease of use. If y'all think an AC powered unit is a better idea, let me know.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
It's going to be for storing family photos and videos. Want a portable unit to keep all the stuff from bogging down the computers. I will likely get two in case one fails or crashes. It will probably spend 99% of its life in a desk drawer.
I like this plan. Get whatever color you want.