• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

NAS - media server

Id like some sort of media server that i can put all our digital pics and videos on, that has some sort of software on it. i want it to act as much like a dvd/vcr player as possible...id like to switch tv input to the server, and be able to just pull up pics/movies using some sort of menu system...kinda like my amazon fire, but our own content, of course. Any recommendations?

cdnjeepin

Canuckian
VIP
Like a home theater PC?

I built a HTPC a year or so ago, run XBMC on it. has all our movies, videos, photos, etc on it. bought cheap wireless adapter for it and can even use my Logitech harmony remote on it.

Like a home theater PC?

I built a HTPC a year or so ago, run XBMC on it. has all our movies, videos, photos, etc on it. bought cheap wireless adapter for it and can even use my Logitech harmony remote on it.
Sure. I literally want to copy our movies/video to the server, and then on the tv, change inputs, then just browse the server and play videos/pics. I dont want to build an old pc or have to do anything myself. plug and play is what i am after. WD and Synology seem to have pretty good reviews on Amazon for turn-key units.

cdnjeepin

Canuckian
VIP
ahh, yeah i built a PC for it, but i also use my WD TV box upstairs in the bedroom to stream my movies off the PC. works fine accept for full blu-ray ripped movies, they tend to rebuffer a lot. I think I could correct that by hard wiring it instead of using the wifi

synology should do what you are after..
I would also not be opposed to something like a playstation or other type device that I can plug a USB hard drive into and the playstation/other has the capability of letting me browse my movies/pics.