• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

RV Solar power

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
We camp in mostly rustic camping areas, very rare to have hookups at the state parks and wilderness areas we camp.

I hate running the generator, I will if needed but I prefer to use battery power if at all possible. Problem is the single 12V battery we have doesn't last the night if it get's cold and the furnace is on.

To fix this issue I'm going with dual 6V golf cart batteries wired like the diagram below.

To keep the batteries charged and to take advantage of the extended daylight during Alaskan summers I purchased a Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase and a Zamp Solar to Furrion Solar Adapter as my Coachmen RV comes with a built in Furrion solar plug. The Renogy system used the same plug as Zamp, so I should be able to plug the Renogy system into the RV directly using the adapter.

This will give me the ability to camp for extended periods without starting the generator to charge the batteries. Plus I like the idea of using solar power while camping. We don't use the microwave and hardly watch TV while camping, if we do decide to use the TV it can run off 12V power.

I'll update this thread when I have everything hitched up and running.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's awesome. I want to get a solar set up for mine as well. Very interested in how this turns out.

I have no solar hook up that I know of, so I need to research how to connect

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
why not go with (2 or more) 12v batteries in parallel since you already have one?

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Zamp Solar makes portable kits and plugs that you can add to your RV. I went with the Renogy folding system because it was less expensive and well rated. You should be able to use the Zamp Solar Plug System with the Renogy system, I'll know for sure when I get mine in and test it. From what I have read it's easy to wire solar to RV's.

Last edited:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I would be tempted to go 24VDC to a 120VAC true sine inverter. Smaller wire and shit like that.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
why not go with (2 or more) 12v batteries in parallel since you already have one?
Dual 6V batteries last longer than dual 12V batteries and can take more abuse. To add a second 12V battery I would have to find the same battery as I have installed now, when I looked locally I couldn't find one. Problem with having limited sources in Alaska. From what I have read if you use different 12V batteries you can reduce the life of the batteries. Easiest to go to dual 6V and have a spare 12V deep cycle battery for the trolling motor.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
I used to run 2-6v golf cart batteries wired like that in my RV, had solar power and could run the TV and DVD player on inverters for 2-movies at night.

2x6v is the way to go they last a long time.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
According to things I've read about this, and this might be off base, if so tell me:
A major reason that 2 6V batteries are better than a pair of 12V is that the 6V are going to be true deep discharge batteries, like for golf carts, but the 12V are likely to be marine or "RV" batteries, which are designed as a compromise between deep discharge and starting batteries. So if you were able to find 12V true deep discharge batteries, it would be as good a setup as 2 6V, assuming other factors are equal.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Suit case solar panels arrived last night. The plugs don't match so I ordered new cables with the correct plugs to connect the panels to the RV. Should have the new cables this weekend to test it out.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
According to things I've read about this, and this might be off base, if so tell me:
A major reason that 2 6V batteries are better than a pair of 12V is that the 6V are going to be true deep discharge batteries, like for golf carts, but the 12V are likely to be marine or "RV" batteries, which are designed as a compromise between deep discharge and starting batteries. So if you were able to find 12V true deep discharge batteries, it would be as good a setup as 2 6V, assuming other factors are equal.
My Yamaha Golf Cart uses (4) true deep discharge 12V golf cart batteries made by Trojan..

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Took the solar panel kit out camping this weekend. Should have set it up before heading out. Needed a few parts I didn't have with me. Going to work on it this week to get it ready for next weekends camping trip.