LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 534 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Thu 06/02/2016, 05:55 PM #1
pirranah
pierced dingaling

pirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angel
Default Found Out Something Awesome

Mom gave me a poster size picture of the submarine my grandfather was on. It had the class/# on it so I was able to narrow down my information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Seawolf_(SSN-575)

This would be when my grandfather was on it and the stories he always told me.

Quote:
1974–1978[edit]
In 1974, Seawolf completed post-conversion testing and evaluation period and conducted her first Pacific Fleet deployment, operating independently for a period of three months. For her performance of duty, she was awarded a second Navy Unit Commendation. In 1975, Seawolf came under the exclusive direction of Submarine Development Group One, and for outstanding performance in 1974–1975, was awarded a Battle Efficiency "E."

In 1976, Seawolf received her second consecutive Battle Efficiency "E" and the Engineering "E" for Excellence. During her second Pacific Fleet deployment, she conducted independent submerged operations for three months and demonstrated superior endurance by remaining submerged for 89 consecutive days, a U.S. Navy record. She received her third Navy Unit Commendation.

In 1977, Seawolf received her third Battle Efficiency "E" and her second Engineering "E" for Excellence. During her third Pacific Fleet deployment, she conducted 79 consecutive days of independent submerged operations and received her fourth Navy Unit Commendation and the Navy Expeditionary Medal. In 1978, Seawolf conducted her fourth Pacific Fleet deployment.

Some of the above deployments are chronicled in the book Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag, Christopher Drew & Annette Lawrence Drew. Published in 1998, the book details previously classified stories of espionage and Cold War activities of American submarines, and specifically details one of Seawolf's missions in Russian waters.
Best part, THERE'S A BOOK. As he told it, that 89 days under was when they were spying on the Russian's Tango sub. It basically took 89 days to finally see it come out of the port and go on it's first run. Grandfather was in charge of translating the incoming transmissions. He talked about having to literally wire tap their phone lines because they could get to them in the water without being detected.

Now I'm curious about the book.
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 05:58 PM #2
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

Old Thu 06/02/2016, 05:59 PM #3
Glenn
Desert Dweller

Glenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angelGlenn is an angel

Very cool. Much respect for submariners. Those guys are a special kind of insane.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 06:06 PM #4
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angel

Just ask Bobkid.
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 08:24 PM #5
BrandonM7
MaMway Platinum Member

BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!

Did you order the book yet?
BrandonM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 09:38 PM #6
BobKid
Bite me!

BobKid has disabled reputation

Blind Man's Bluff is an excellent book, whose authors took a lot of hell for writing.

Once you read that one, read Craven's The Silent War to round out the whys and hows of what those spec ops boats were doing. Amazon.com The Silent War The Cold War Battle Beneath the Sea eBook John Pina Craven Kindle Store
BobKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 09:39 PM #7
BobKid
Bite me!

And a shameless plug for the book about my last boat - Amazon.com Americas Undercover Nuclear Sub eBook Manager Lee Vyborny, Don Davis Kindle Store

Old Thu 06/02/2016, 09:52 PM #8
BobKid
Bite me!

Look through the boat's reunion site and see if your grandpa is in any of the pictures or is mentioned in the scrapbook

USS SEAWOLF (SSN 575)
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 10:01 PM #9
whiskey tango
warmonger

whiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angel

Holy shit you're grandparents are young. In 1974 my grandpa was 66.

Don't lose your dinosaur.

Jeremiah 51:20
whiskey tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 06/02/2016, 11:04 PM #10
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango View Post
Holy shit you're grandparents are young. In 1974 my grandpa was 66.
Maternal grandfather would have been 74 if still alive at that point. don't recall about my dad's parents, I think they were in their early 60's at that point.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 06/03/2016, 09:17 AM #11
pirranah
pierced dingaling

pirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonM7 View Post
Did you order the book yet?
No, haven't called the Dr yet either.
pirranah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 06/03/2016, 02:52 PM #12
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirranah View Post
No, haven't called the Dr yet either.
abqtj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 06/03/2016, 10:25 PM #13
pirranah
pierced dingaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKid View Post
Look through the boat's reunion site and see if your grandpa is in any of the pictures or is mentioned in the scrapbook

USS SEAWOLF (SSN 575)
I looked, but didn't notice him in any of the pictures. Even the old ones of the crew in the ship doing things.
Old Tue 06/28/2016, 07:38 PM #14
pirranah
pierced dingaling

Still no doctors appointment
Old Tue 06/28/2016, 11:51 PM #15
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is online now   Reply With Quote